Packers Ready To Tag And Shop QB Matt Flynn?

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers' started by Sweets, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

By signing Jermichael Finley on Wednesday the Packers can use the franchise tag on another player and they're unlikely to use it on center Scott Wells, who will be an unrestricted free agent, because the franchise salary for an offensive lineman is $8.4 million, which is likely more than they would be willing to pay. According to Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, they could use it on quarterback Matt Flynn, which could put them in the middle of a bidding war for the young backup's services. If they franchise Flynn before the March 5 deadline, they would be on the hook for a $14.4 million salary, but their intention would be to do a sign-and-trade. In other words, they would shop Flynn to those interested in him and take the best offer, Flynn would have to agree to renegotiate the one-year deal into a long-term contract before any team would be willing to make a trade. Then, once he was dealt, he would restructure the contract.

Source: The Redzone

2. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

I don't think, we going to keep Flynn

3. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Stupid move, they should tag Wells.

4. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Ha, you just want him for the fins

5. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

I would prefer Manning. But why risk tagging a back-up rather than keeping a player that keeps Rodgers safe from guys like Suh?

6. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Sure. It doesn't make any sense to keep an expensive backup and let a starter hit the FA

7. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

LOT of money if they can't get the trade they want.

8. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

I think this would be a huge mistake

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's not a bad move for the Packers. They'll get quite a few offers for him. He's the best QB on the market as far as the veteran/free agents go. The losers in the Luck/RGIII sweepstakes will be all over this.

10. I'm with Ward. I think Flynn gets traded on draft day to whoever loses out on trading up to 2 for RG3.

11. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

They'll probobly take a second rounder or so. They are doing this just so they can get a return on him. This isnt because they want to keep him

They are probobly working the phones right now trying to get a deal in place

12. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

Would rather draft RGIII than trade for Matt Flynn.

13. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

RGIII

Imagine Cams talent with a good attitude and leadership skills

IMO RGIII most years is a legit top overall

14. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

if they do this, i think some of you may be surprised at how much a desperate team will give the packers in a trade for flynn.

this situation is not that different from the matt schaub trade, which was basically two 2nd rd picks. why would you NOT tag and trade for two 2nd rd picks (or even a 2nd and 5th or something like that).