Phillies Preparing Sizable Offer For Cole Hamels

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by Sportsguy, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

The Philadelphia Phillies are preparing a substantial offer to their soon-to-be-free-agent left-hander Cole Hamels in an attempt to determine whether they can sign him to an extension in the next two weeks, sources told ESPN.com on Thursday.However, the Phillies are aware that in order to retain the winningest pitcher they have developed in the past 40 years, it could require one of the largest contracts in team history.Both Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. and Hamels' agent, John Boggs, declined to comment on any aspect of the negotiations.

Source: ESPN

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Just man up and do it...

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

they have no choice but get a deal done and they'll have to overpay thanks to butthole amaro. no team is going to trade for him knowing he wont sign a new deal.

4. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

What kind of deal will it take though, Lee money or CJ Wilson money?

5. smeags

smeags militant geek

he may not get that much in FA but if the phillies wanna keep him i'm think $25mil per for at least 5yrs.

6. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Is he willing to accept a home town discount?

7. smeags

smeags militant geek

i dont know at this point. amaro may have burnt that bridge. hamels shouldve been re-signed last year and amaro has gone on the radio multiple times downplaying cole's value. not the best tactic. especially when you preach you dont negociate through the media.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Be sure Hamels will wear his World Series MVP jersey into the negotiations...

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

yep and if amaro is stupid enough to use cole's wins/loses as a negociation tactic he should be shot. hamel's was the poster child in '10 & 11 for how the wins stat for ptichers is overrated.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  10. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I think they'll get the deal done. I believe Hamels when he says he wants to stay. But, as Smeagle stated, the home town discount is gone or at least very much reduced.

11. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

Like Rollins, there's no hometown discount with Cole.

12. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

CBS Sports is saying that the Phillies are willing to offer Hamels a six-year deal, worth around $130 million.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

I heard that too...going off of Cain's deal...

14. smeags

smeags militant geek

get this deal done and then move other guys. jroll to the dodgers wouldnt upset me at all. i mean i dont hate jimmy but he's useless as a leadoff hitter.

then go sign bourne in the off season

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

Couldn't agree more on JRoll. One of Philadelphias favorite athletes, but it wouldn't kill me if they shipped him out...

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

yep and the phils can send victorino packing too. wake this team up and get some new blood in here.

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

I think the Victarino one is coming...

18. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Yahoo Sports is saying that the Phillies and Cole Hamels have agreed to a six-year, $144 million deal.

19. smeags

smeags militant geek

$24mil more then it wouldve cost to sign him last year. great job amaro.

either way i'm happy cole is here for another 6yrs.

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

Happy he's staying.