Phillies SP Cole Hamels Suspended Five Games For Hitting Batter Intentionally

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by Sportsguy, May 7, 2012.

1. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels has been suspended five games for intentionally throwing at Washington rookie Bryce Harper.Major League Baseball announced the penalty Monday. Hamels also was fined.Hamels plunked Harper in the small of the back with a fastball in the first inning Sunday night. The Phillies won 9-3 and Hamels admitted that he deliberately threw at Harper.Hamels said the purpose pitch was his old-school way of welcoming the 19-year-old Nationals phenom to the big leagues.Unless appealed, Hamels was scheduled to begin serving his suspension Monday night when the Phillies hosted the New York Mets.

Source: ESPN

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Worth missing one start...lol.

3. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Good. Harper is a giant douchebag.

4. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

How the heck can MLB prove intent? I'd appeal the heck out of that.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

He admitted to it...lol.

6. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Yup he did but is the MLB gonna suspend that pegged Hamels.

And if their suspend Hamels for five games. Really want to punish him suspends him for five starts and games that he is schedule to miss anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Ummmmmmmm.

8. yisman

yisman The Ambivalent One

amaro and manuel weren't upset that he threw at harper

they were upset he admitted it

9. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Ok so what i'm confused about is why he hit him. He threw at him just for the sake of throwing at him or what?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

harper is a showboating 19yr old. somebody was going to plunk him soon enough. the "only" issue here which led to the suspesion is that he admitted doing it.

personally i love it. the phillies have been plenty over the last few years just because they were throttling teams so heck it.

what i wanna know is when is the nats GM mike rizzo going to be suspended for his profanity ridden tirate over it.

hey mike, you should be happier than a pig in crap considering this is the only reason yopur team is being talked about.

oh and hamels wont even miss a start which points out joke of how pitchers get suspended.

11. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

So when did Harper showboat? It's a snitch move by Hamels and karma will get back at him.

12. yisman

The Nationals are in first and the Phillies are in last. That gets talked about.

13. smeags

smeags militant geek

i dont watch the nationals but it was talked about by announcers well before this game. also karma already got hamels back as the nats actually pulled the snitch move by going after hamels. you never go after the pitcher you go after one of his position players.

99% of the time a batter gets plunked it's on purpose.

14. smeags

smeags militant geek

barely even a mention of the 1st place nats before that game.

bottom line is this - harper was labled as arrogant, the nats have been talking crap since spring training. this was going to happen. just like the phillies have dealt with the last five years but you never heard gillck or amaro cry like girls over it and the phils never went after the opposing pitching staff.

15. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Really, 99%. Yeah I buy that. Hamels did a snitch move and defending it is just as sad.

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

whatever. get over it. it's been going on forever in baseball. every ex player i have heard talk about it said the only issue was him admitting it includingthe national guys doing the phils/mets game last night.

the marlins did their fair share of plunking phillies players. again, we didnt cry.

17. smeags

smeags militant geek

also keep this in mind - their pticher hannaran (sp) has been plunking phillies since he came up to the big leagues and broke utleys hand. it wasnt an accident.

18. yisman

By the way, ESPN talked extensively about the Nationals being in first place last night during the game.

Baby move by Hamels and typical Philly fan.

19. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Pitchers have been policing rookies since the first pitch was ever thrown. Only problem I have is him "admitting/bragging" about it.

Do it tip you cap so he knows it had purpose behind it and move on.

20. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

How dare Harper be confident and brash. he should just lay down and take it in the butt like Hamels does clearly

:eyeroll: