Rashard Mendenhall Apologizes For, Clarifies Tweets On Bin Laden

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by SRW, May 4, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall wrote a "clarification" of his comments made Monday on Twitter regarding the death of Osama bin Laden. He wrote in a blog entry that he does not support bin Laden, and that he aimed to clear things up, for not only himself, but also the Steelers. On Monday, Pittsburgh's leading rusher caused enough of a stir with his tweets, that the Steelers felt compelled to release a statement distancing the team from their running back's remarks. "I appreciate those of you who have decided to read this letter and attain a greater understanding of my recent Twitter posts. I see how they have gotten misconstrued, and wanted to use this outlet as a way to clear up all things that do not truthfully represent myself, what I stand for personally, and any organization that I am a part of." Mendenhall also specifically pointed out the "celebrates death" tweet. "This controversial statement was something I said in response to the amount of joy I saw in the event of a murder. I don't believe that this is an issue of politics or American pride; but one of religion, morality, and human ethics. During 9/11 we watched in horror as parts of the world celebrated death on our soil," Mendenhall wrote. "Earlier this week, parts of the world watched us in horror celebrating a man’s death." Mendenhall also tried to bring closure to the situation. "Nothing I said was meant to stir up controversy. It was my way to generate conversation. In looking at my timeline in its entirety, everything that I've said is with the intent of expressing a wide array of ideas and generating open and honest discussions, something I believe we as American citizens should be able to do. Most opinions will not be fully agreed upon and are not meant to be. However, I believe every opinion should be respected or at least given some thought. I apologize for the timing as such a sensitive matter, but it was not meant to do harm. I apologize to anyone I unintentionally harmed with anything that I said, or any hurtful interpretation that was made and put in my name."

Source: NFL.com

2. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

Nice try man, but your still a freaking moron and most of America still thinks your an insensitive idiotic pr**k.

I still don't know hwat he was thinking, even after reading that.

3. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

I actually think it makes him look like an extremely sensitive person. Especially for an NFL player in the SteAl city

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  4. now my question is does he mean this apology?

one of my fb friends put this as his facebook status and I couldn't believe it. "During 9/11 we watched in horror as parts of the world celebrated death on our soil," Mendenhall wrote. "Earlier this week, parts of the world watched us in horror celebrating a man’s death."

5. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Why can't you believe it has been quoted on FB. It's 100 percent factual

6. because while it is not nearly as deranged as his first comments it's still out there.

1. No one not associated with Al-Quaeda is in mourning.

2. Bin Laden killed civilians. America did not.

7. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Your trying to make an argument about something I never said. Don't confuse me with the idiot whose posts you copied in the other thread.
    Do you doubt any part of what your friend quoted on FB?
    Not celebrating Bin Laden's death is not the same thing as mourning him. Many people myself included only felt ambivalence or further sadness that the cycle of war and death continues unabated.

8. ah I see what you mean now I am sorry for misinterpreting it. Yeah I can definitely see merit in that and respect it.

9. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Thanks. Now where Mendenhall loses me and goes full nutjob is bringing up the conspiracy of the planes not crashing the towers. Even IF he's dumb enough to believe it coupling it with his other tweets made it seem he was defending Bin Laden and it's THAT impression I believe he is sorry about.

10. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

hope he thanked that whitey nerdy guy in legal for writing something for him to pass off as an apology

11. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

he can do anything he wants to apologize for his actions but he is still going to be viewed by many americans as an idiot

12. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

[​IMG]

He'll be alright.

13. smeags

smeags militant geek

man, the steelers really need to get some control over their slaves. them tobies need a whoopin'.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

QFT. The white mans not letting them talk to the slaves right now...

15. smeags

smeags militant geek

valid point and we are seeing the results of that across the league.

16. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Damn the white man!

But, yeah. I don't buy this as a heart felt apology. We, as Americans, celebrated the death of a terrorist leader. The 9/11 celebrations was for the death of innocent citizens. If George W. Bush at the time..just randomly dropped bombs on a country for no reason..and then we celebrated it, then Mendenhall's statement could be valid.

17. cKlass

cKlass Rookie

Problem is he was very passionate about what he tweeted so we know this apology is just to help his image.

18. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

[​IMG]

19. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

Jesus?

20. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

May want to check Mendenhall's Twitter account to see if he's posted something questioning Jesus being white.