Redskins, Mike Shanahan Reach Agreement On Coaching Contract

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by MediaGuy, Jan 5, 2010.

1. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Mike Shanahan has reached an agreement in principle to become the new head coach of the Washington Redskins, according to sources familiar with the negotiations. The Redskins are making plans for Shanahan to sign his contract and announce his hiring Wednesday. The hiring should be well received by Broncos owner Pat Bowlen who figures to save roughly $7 million now that his coach from 1995-2008 has landed elsewhere.

Source: The Denver Post

2. hermhater

hermhater Guest

$50 million?

3. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

It certainly makes the NFC East much more interesting in the next few years.

4. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

5. 3rdStoneFromTheSun

3rdStoneFromTheSun Truth Hurts Like Freedom

Redskins Hire Shanahan

[​IMG]

It is a done deal!

Mike Shanahan was caught leaving a dinner with Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder and general manager Bruce Allen, with their families in tow, acting giddy and flashing smiles.

Shanahan has agreed to be the Redskins 28th head coach in their history, as well as being given the title Executive Vice President of Football Operations. There will be an official press conference later today.

He will be given $35 million over seven years by Washington, and is set to receive another $7 million for the Denver Broncos over the next two years to fulfill his previous contract with the team after he was fired almost a year ago.

Snyder, whose Six Flags Amusement Parks and Johnny Rocket restaurants have been failing miserably, has been rumored to be mortgaged to the hilt on the Redskins. His purported financial woes was seen in full view last summer at Redskins Park when the grass in front of the offices were a burnt brown from a lack of watering.

If Shanahan ends up being another of a long line of failed coaches under his regime, it could very well be his last hire and he may be forced to sell the team. A thought many Redskins fans would love to see.

Shanahan might be remembered best for his two Super Bowl wins as head coach with the Broncos, and another Super Bowl victory as offensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers. Fans may also recall his struggles as head coach of the Los Angeles Raiders.

It will be interesting to see the sweeping changes on both the roster and coaching staff over the next few months. It has been rumored that Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer will reunite with Shanahan and replace Greg Blache.

Now is the time for Dan Snyder to sit back and not meddle with the team for once. This is a rebuilding process that will take some time, unless there is no salary cap for the league next year. He would best be served counting his remaining pennies and rubbing his rosary beads.

6. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

I think he will do OK, but I dont think he will push them past New York, Philadelphia or Dallas, who should all remain playoff caliber teams over the next 5 years

I see him having about the same success as Gibbs did

Not a great personnel guy, and far less effective as a HC after Kubiak left

7. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins I Still Say Redskins

8. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

Doesn't surprise me. Probably a matter of when as far as Kyle leaving Houston goes.

9. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins I Still Say Redskins

LOL we already signed Kyle.

10. Congrats Skins fans.

Your getting a real head coach for a change.

I guess this means Coughlin won't be alone anymore in terms of Super Bowl hardware in the NFC Beast. :icon_sad: lol

11. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Deal with it.

[​IMG]

12. :icon_lol:

13. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

That's a big signing for the Redskins and should have an sudden impact

14. Ridin Burgundy

Ridin Burgundy on the Magic Bandwagon

From Vinny and Zorn to Allen and Shanahan.

Things already look a hell of a lot better.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

A LOT better...lol...

16. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Wow, this didn't take long after Jim Zorn got fired, lol.

17. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Just thought I'd toss in Shanahan's taxi.
    [​IMG]

18. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

wow this ought to be interesting to see. He has a bunch of bratz on this team. nothing like in denver.

19. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

While I wouldn't be overly excited with this signing, it sure is a hell of a lot better than the other clowns they have had in there as of late.

So which QB is Shanny gonna draft in the first? Hmmm...

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

Clearly Vinny was bad, but I'm confused by all of the man-love Skins fans are throwing at Bruce Allen. Has he done anything that would justify the love of the signing or is it just total excitement to have someone else besides Vinny?

20. Ridin Burgundy

Ridin Burgundy on the Magic Bandwagon

Its mostly to do with how much everyone hated Vinny. Anything would have been an upgrade.
    Time will tell how Allen is going to do but he has done a pretty solid job so far.

Hes drafted a lot of good players (along with a few poor ones) and always looks to draft for need with e top pick which is exactly what we need.