Retired NFL QB Brett Favre Invited To Mike Holmgren's Packers Induction

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers' started by Sweets, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Bob Harlan hatched a solid plan to pull Brett Favre back into the fold of the Green Bay Packers, but the ol' gunslinger remains elusive. Mike Holmgren is set to be inducted into the Packers Hall of Fame on July 21. Harlan, the retired team president, suggested the Hall extend an invite to the former quarterback, after all, Favre's messy split with the franchise had nothing to do with his former coach. "We had a meeting about two months ago and talked about who should be invited back -- Jon Gruden, Andy Reid, people like that," Harlan told Green & Gold Today on Tuesday, via ESPNMilwaukee.com. "And we talked about players. And I said to the group, 'What about No. 4? This would be the perfect time for him to come back, come into Green Bay.' "The crowd at the Hall of Fame banquet is an adoring crowd, they're as loyal to the Green Bay Packers as anybody. And unfortunately, I don't think he's going to do it. We did approach his agent (James 'Bus' Cook), and I don't think Brett's going to do it. I feel badly about that." There's a sense that Favre and the team will settle their differences in time, and Harlan backs that theory while also suggesting No. 4 still harbors hard feelings. "He's got to come back someday and have his number retired," Harlan said. "He's going to go into the Packers Hall of Fame. I think he should go into the Packers Hall of Fame before he goes into Canton. ... I just have great respect for him, and somehow, some way, he's got to come back here."

Source: NFL.com

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

3. flexnfx

flexnfx flexnfx

Regardless of what happened with the Packers (mainly; Thompson, McCarthy) and Favre...Holmgren, Wolfe, Reggie White, Sterling Sharpe, (etc.) and yes, Brett Favre put a struggling franchise back on the map after 2 lost decades of the 70s and 80s. Favre gave everything...played with breaks, sprains and criticism and the Packer fans loved every minute of it.

I understand the anger of coming back in a Vikings uniform, but I think 15 years (never missing a game) should outway 1 season as a JET and 2 in Minnesota. Lest Packer fans forget, Favre took over a job for a fan favorite Majkowski and it was Majkowski who advised him to guard that starting job jealously...I'm sure Aaron Rodgers will face this one day. Maybe he'll handle the end better, but when a fanbase treats you as a God...what do people expect...the guys human.

Thanks for 18 great years Favre!