Rivers Vs Cutler

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Arrowhead4Life, May 7, 2010.

?

Who is a better QB?

Poll closed May 10, 2010.
  1. Philip Rivers

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. Jay Cutler

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. I brought up a subject last year that you guys said that you would wait till this past season to give your opinion and that you werent sure yet. Ive always said that Philip Rivers will be the better QB in take his team further as a franchise QB then Jay Cutler. Cutler in my opinion has not proven anything in this league. He hasnt made the playoffs not 1 time, to me if anything he is still in the same doghouse or just as good as Matt Cassel. Rivers on the other hand has that fiery leadership and has taken his team to the playoffs every year he has been a starter. He has shown that he is a top five QB in the NFL. Its hard for me to even put Cutler in the top 10 as of now. Cutler makes too many mistakes yet he still runs his cocky mouth like he is the crap when he really aint crap. Rivers runs his mouth too but he backs it up on the field and pretty much has earned his right to talk. So I want to know now since its the end of the season and you couldnt answer last year who is A better QB Philip Rivers or Jay Cutler?

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i heard something the other day about Cutler. apparently he has never led a team of any kind to a winning record since middle school .................

first off, does someone know if that's accurate?

if it is, that speaks volumes ............ part of being a good qb are the intangibles. the ability to make things happen and be a leader of men to find ways to win games ..............

3. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

I love lopsided polls. Obviously Rivers, but Cutler still has huge upside whether you like him or not. Last year doesn't mean crap. He had crap to work with and it was his first year there. Cutler would be a beast in the SD offense of the last few years.

Also, knocking him for not making the playoffs... The 2 starting years in Denver he had top 3 worst defense in the league and then there is last year.

And for the record, I don't even like Cutler.

Like I said, give Cutler SD's O and D the years Rivers had it and put Rivers in Cutlers situation and you would see reversed results.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  4. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Wow! This kind of a poll? Really?

5. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

This is all personal taste really.

If I was building a team and had a choice of these two, I'd pick Jay Cutler 100 times out of 100.

6. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Not voting in this poll. Dev said it best.

7. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

I knew Cutler would be nothing without Brandon Marshall.

like i said b4. There are QB's that make your WR's better, and WR's that make your QB better.

Cutler needs a WR like Marshall.

8. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

This

9. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

I understand the point about Cutler's environment, but I firmly believe Rivers would do better in it than Cutler did. Additionally, I'd take Rivers 100 times out of 100.

10. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

wait till the end of next season and i'll give my opinion :icon_cheesygrin:

11. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

Rivers, no contest.

12. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

I agree. BUT I think that Cutler would have done better than Rivers did if he had been given with Rivers' weapons.

Lower floor, higher ceiling.

13. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

They're both jackasses but Rivers backs his up much more than Cutler.

14. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Fans refugee

You guys do know that the Broncos were loaded with talent when Cutler was there right? So what's with all this BS that Cutler would be as good if he Rivers' receivers.

Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal vs Vincent Jackson and Gates.

Both didn't have a running game. Cutler had a great Oline, Rivers had a good oline.

Rivers' best 2 years is far superior to Cutler's best 2 years. No matter what his weapons Cutler will always throw his good share of INTs. Rivers doesn't. So if you're on a team that isn't loaded with weapons you'd want a guy who doesn't turn it over vs a guy who does.

Rivers' high in INTs (15) Cutler's low (14). In 11 fewer games Cutler has thrown 18 more INTs than Rivers.

And it's not like Rivers plays in some safe offense that prevents INTs. His yards per attempt is also much higher than Cutler's.

And this is all ignoring his season last season. How anyone can possibly think Cutler is better is mind boggling.

1 person likes this.
  15. too early to tell IMO

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  16. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Rep dude.

17. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Cutler has the talent to do it, but hasn't quite put it together. Rivers has been a certain top 10 QB for two years, and possibly could be considered as a top 5.

Rivers all the way.

18. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Fans refugee

Seriously it's like they forgot he was on the Broncos and act like he's been a Bear his entire career.

19. hermhater

hermhater Guest

20. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

I think you're overestimating the Broncos. A lot.

They had a very poor running game the last few years Cutler was there, and what they did have was amplified by Cutler's gunslinger mentality, presence and arm strength throwing the defenses into bend-but-don't-break mode.
    If I was game planning against a guy like Cutler, I'd have my defense sit back in coverage and wait for him to make a mistake, or force the ball into a covered receiver, which is what defenses did, giving up a little in the ground game. Denver couldn't capitalize on this due to a lack of healthy running backs and having no game-changers in their backfield.

The receivers were great, and Cutler put up some impressive yardage and touchdown totals. As he was expected to.

The problem was, aside from the running game, Denver's awful defense. They routinely allowed 30-40 points a game, often making Denver's already one-dimensional offense even more so. Any Quarterback in this situation would throw more interceptions than usual.

The lack of a ground game, and the porous defense, meant that Cutler had to take the entire team on his shoulders, which is a lot to ask of a young QB, especially one of Cutler's mentality (very competitive, takes losing hard, tries to make things happen every time he has the ball).

His situation in Denver gave him great weapons in the passing game, which he took full advantage of, but didn't give him the best chance to win. He was forced to do too much.

1 person likes this.