Roger Goodell Confident Redskins Owner Dan Snyder Weighing Name Debate

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by SRW, Oct 13, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said he believes Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder is "way down the road" in consideration of whether the team should change its nickname.

The commissioner repeated what he said during the owners' meetings last week - that he grew up in Washington and considered everything about the name to be something that honored the tradition of Native Americans.

"But I think we also have to be sensitive enough to at least listen and try to see what it is we can do if we're insulting any element of our fan base, or non-fan base for that matter," Goodell said.

"I think Dan Snyder is way down the road on doing that. I'm confident he's listening. I'm confident he feels strongly about the name but also wants to do the right thing."

Source: CBS News

SteveRobWhatever's Take: Public opinion against the team name is growing day by day. It's an age of political correctness, and teams like the Redskins and Indians will keep facing this pressure until they make a change. It's not going to go away.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

As usual, the driving force by the mob mentality will be for the sake of trying to force the situation.

As the #s grow, more & more will be from the PC crowd that jumped on the bandwagon as opposed to the #s that actually have a conviction on the subject.

The bigger the outcry, the more pissed I become...

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Pretty much a joke at how this is "snowballing" into a HUGE issue.

4. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Look out Vikings and Buccaneers...you're next. Your reputations were built on plundering towns and villages, murder, thievery and rape. I keep thinking this is a joke, but Tark is correct...gang mentality has taken over.

5. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Naahhh...

Think they're safe. You just described politicians.

6. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

:rollinglaugh:

7. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

and after awhile,there will be so much pressure on the team to change the name,they will be forced to actually do it which is BULLCRAP!!!!!!!!!:icon_evil:

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

My thing is, sure...maybe it is racist, maybe it's not...there obviously were a few people who are offended and have been fighting their fight for some time now. But when some butthole hack like
    Bob Cost-Ass gets on the air to preach to America just because it's a "hot topic" right now and talks down to America like he's been fighting the fight for 80+ years? Da Fuq outta here.

9. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Costas is a smug self-serving pr**k.

10. Lddbck

Lddbck Little League

You read all this stuff about bullying. But what would this be called gentle nudging?

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

Yeah...I guess you could look at it as sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt.

12. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I'll never look at peanuts the same.
    [​IMG]

13. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

It is being reported that Snyder has a patent investor friend that has recently Patented the name Washington Bravehearts

14. Lddbck

Lddbck Little League

I hope not. Everytime I hear that I would think of Mel Gibson.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

16. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

If he changes the name,and i do not see it,he should change the name to the washington generals with some sort of picture of george washington as the mascot.
    i could live with that,but piss on any other name other than redskins!

17. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

So, what will their fans sing when they score a TD? Doesn't their fight song have to go bye bye as well?

18. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Washington Redskins nix Bravehearts team name - NFL.com

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

How about just call them the Washington 'Skins and keep the logo...lol.

20. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

if the p.c. crowd still wouldn't be pissed about the indian logo, that would be great. unfortunately, i doubt we would be that lucky.:doh: