Saints QB Drew Brees Is Livid About Franchise Tag, Won't Sign

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by SRW, Mar 5, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Saints quarterback Drew Brees is reportedly "livid" about being franchise tagged and not receiving a long-term contract, according to WIST-AM in New Orleans. The radio station cites sources in the Brees camp that he will not sign the franchise tag deal. Brees and the Saints have until July 15 to hammer out a long-term deal. If a deal isn't struck, Brees must sign the franchise tag deal or hold out. Under the franchise tag that Brees reportedly has no intentions of signing, he's scheduled to make $15 million.

Source: CBS Sports

2. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Alright Drew Brees is definitely worthy of a hefty contract, but seeing this side of him is surprising.

3. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

no one should ever be "livid" to get paid 15 mil lol

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

Especially with what the Saints offered. From my understanding, they offered him the richest contract in the NFL...but he wanted more?

5. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Very surprising, but this is one of the rare occasions that I agree with Bitb, no one should ever be living about playing a game that they "love" for 15 million. Strange though, is Drew Brees really the man we all were led to believe, or was it all a facade?

Edit: That being said he has resurrected this franchise and deserves a Brady/Manning deal.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

And they supposedly offered him that and more...

7. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

From my understanding, it was the richest on paper, but extremely back-loaded. Either way, he's got to be very careful going down this road. As he should have learned during the lockout, nobody feels sorry for you making that kind of money.

8. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Kind of surprising to hear, I imagine a livid Brees is like a semi-mad normal person.

9. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

lol...truth

until a credible source or brees himself comes out and says he's "livid" it's all speculation to me....he'll sign the tag and his new deal will be done before training camp. does anyone actually believe this man will sit out a year....lol

10. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

If Brees wants to get paid, he'll sign, eventually.

11. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer

Livid enough to sign with another team?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  12. 86WARD

86WARD -

I don't think it is that "unlikely." There are probably a couple teams out there that have the money and remember what the Saints got when they were the only ones to go in on Brees the first time around. Could Miami possibly make up for dropping the ball the first time around and going with Daunte Culpepper?

13. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

He was wanting his contract like Manning, most of the money in the first three years. I can't blame him really cause that is when most make their money. They should have done the contract sooner.

14. Starkiller501

Starkiller501 Starter

No way in HELL Brees goes anywhere else. The Saints would be monumentally stupid to let him get away.

15. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

you mean monumentally stupid like ignoring the NFL's warning to stop the bounty system?????

16. Starkiller501

Starkiller501 Starter

Saints aren't the only team with a bounty system. Just the team stupid enough to get caught

17. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Tough spot for Brees. He wants to get paid and deserves every penny he gets. At the same time this mess could cost them two key players in Colston and Nicks. Saints are beyond stupid for letting it get to his. PAY THE MAN.

18. falloutboy14

falloutboy14 Rookie

My interpretation was that he was happy with the amount of money in the contract, just when the money was payed. There's plenty of ways to juggle a contract to shift it from player friendly to team friendly.

19. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Livid?

Screw off. Simple way of guaranteeing you don't go anywhere else. They fully expect to get a long term done (I would HAVE to assume).

20. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

no doubt the saints didn't plan this very well. they knew brees' contract was ending and you would have thought they would have had some foresight.