Saints, QB Drew Brees Not Close On Contract Extension

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by Sweets, May 3, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The New Orleans Saints and quarterback Drew Brees are not any closer to a contract extension and have made little progress on a long-term deal, a person familiar with the negotiations told Adam Schefter of ESPN. Brees, who was tagged by the Saints as their franchise player, has not signed his one-year tender and has skipped the team's voluntary workouts to date. Brees led the Saints to the franchise's first Super Bowl championship after the 2009 season. He broke Dan Marino's single-season passing yards record last season, throwing for 5,476 yards and 46 touchdowns. Last month, Saints owner Tom Benson said "we're close" when asked if a long-term deal was near.

Source: The Redzone

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  2. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

This is probably their second worst off-season ever.

3. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  4. buffalobillsfan1

buffalobillsfan1 2nd String

Brees wants to be the highest paid QB in the NFL. He is greedy. You are the 4th best QB in the NFL, thats the money you deserve.

5. Saintsfan1972

rofl are you seroius?????? you watch waaaayyyy too much ESPN

6. buffalobillsfan1

buffalobillsfan1 2nd String

yes. i gurantee you that is the case.

7. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Brees deserves the money he's asking for....but more importantly he wants a long term deal..GIVE IT TO HIM, NEW ORLEANS...

8. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

You don't heck around with a QB the caliber of Brees especially when he's going to be running the offense by himself without a head coach this year.

Pay the MF'er.

9. Saintsfan1972

i know i'll end up pulling my hair out...but name them

10. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Bree's is worth as much as the saints are willing to pay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

You read that in a fortune cookie?

12. marty264

marty264 Team Veteran

Brees may be the 3rd or 4th best QB in the league, but at that point it doesn't matter. The market value for each QB in the top five or so is pretty much going to always be highest contract ever.

13. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I don't care if you think he is the best or the worst, I'm just happy he is pissed off and might hold out if he doesn't get the money he deserves. The more time he spends away from that team the better for my team.

14. Saintsfan1972

lol....that's as good a reason as any

15. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer

Thing is none of us know what the Saints are offering. So how can any of you claim that Brees is greedy or that the Saints are cheap? Even if you did know what the offer was, itd be hard to determine exactly how fair it is. I mean hell, people in this thread seem to already disagree with how he ranks.

16. flexnfx

flexnfx flexnfx

The Saints need Captain Combover more than ever!

17. groenator

groenator Rookie

Bree's his playing with fire...:-)

18. flexnfx

flexnfx flexnfx

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

What are they like $2-3M apart? At this point in the offseason, whether the Saints think it or not, they need to just pay him, get him with the team and try to establish some normalcy moving forward here. Brees is effectively going to be the "head coach," offensive coordinator, quarterback of these team for a good amount of time...just pay it, if you think it's overpayment, so be it...make it up somewhere else, but they need to start moving forward and away from the mess they have been in...

20. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

you are correct. it's not like the 4th or 5th best QB in the league make half of what the 1st or 2nd makes. They're in the same general area.

that's what i don't get. the last i heard they were just a couple of million apart ............ now all the sudden they're 'not close' ? huh?