Saints Sean Payton Sends Message To Joe Horn

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by Saintsfan1972, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

Saints coach Sean Payton didn't particularly enjoy being trashed in the newspaper by Falcons wide receiver Joe Horn on Sunday. And shortly after Monday's 34-14 victory, he asked the Hashmarks editorial staff to send a message to his former wide receiver.

"Tell Horn to look at [David] Patten's numbers next to his," Payton said. "And also tell him to compare salaries."

Moments earlier, Payton attempted to temper his remarks during a postgame news conference. He said releasing Horn after last season was a "tough decision," but noted that Patten had done a good job replacing him.

"I like the tradeoff if you're asking me," Payton deadpanned.

On Monday, Patten had nine catches for 122 yards and a touchdown. Horn had two catches for eight yards. In a classic moment, Payton challenged Horn's 5-yard catch that gave the Falcons a third-and-3 at their 27-yard line. The Saints were already up, 31-7, at the time.

In the Atlanta Journal Constitution story Sunday, Horn was quoted saying, "I just don't think [coach] Sean Payton wanted me back. I asked to be released because I felt betrayed by a head coach who wanted to prove he could win without Joe Horn."

Actually, Payton sort of proved that last season. Horn had only 37 catches for 679 yards and four touchdowns for the Saints. But that didn't prevent him from throwing Payton under the bus.

"Sooner or later, I don't care what profession you in, when you get power and you know you have power and you act like you're The Man, it will come back and bite you in the ass," continued Horn. "So basically, it's the chicken coming home to roost. That's what it is. I'm talking about that genius that they hired in New Orleans."

Told of the message Payton asked us to deliver to Horn, Patten said, "That's some deep-seeded animosity between those two. Sean's young and still has some fire in his belly."

And for the record, Horn signed a four-year contract with the Falcons that guaranteed him $7.5 million over the first two years. The Saints signed Patten to a one-year deal worth the veterans' minimum of $820,000.

For the season, Patten has 40 catches for 627 yards and two touchdowns. Horn has 24 catches for 211 yards and no touchdowns.

I stopped by the Falcons locker room to deliver the message to Horn, but he was already gone. Fortunately for Payton, Horn reads Hashmarks on a daily basis.

link

2. Homer34

Homer34 BOOMSTICK!

Tell Sean Payton he's an NFL Coach, and also better judgement is expected of him.

3. skinsfan1

skinsfan1 BANNED

I wished Patton had not been hurt when he was with us.

4. steadypimpin

steadypimpin Still pimpin'

he wasnt.

5. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

He was just crape.

6. steadypimpin

steadypimpin Still pimpin'

he wasnt hurt, he was just acting because he never wanted to be a skin, he just wanted snyder's money.

7. tigersucs

tigersucs nfl-fans refugee

Agreed but the sad part is that some of these coaches are no older than the players they coach and may have even been a teammate at one point.

8. DrunkBomber

DrunkBomber Rally Rex

Joe Horn should realize that its ok to act like an butt in the media if you back it up on the field, but when you are too old to be effective and think youre making a statement by going to a divisional rival and are going to continue to dwell on the past, maybe try doing it on the field.

9. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

The dumbass should try helping improve the Falcons instead of tearing down the Saints. That's the problem with a lot of NFL vets, they think they have more value than they really do. He's a waste of money and a roster spot.