Saints WR Robert Meachem In Danger Of Being Cut

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by SRW, Apr 5, 2009.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Saints WR Robert Meachem is on the verge of being labeled a full-blown bust after going through two nondescript seasons since being selected in the first round of the 2007 draft. With three receivers firmly entrenched ahead of him on the depth chart, and Adrian Arrington on the mend after missing last season with turf toe, Meachem could find himself in a battle for a roster spot in training camp. Veteran evaluators say Meachem needs to improve his route running and do a better job of staying low while going into and out of his cuts.

Source: Pro Football Weekly

2. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

id take him

3. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

I remember when everyone thought New Orleans was going to go DB in the first round of 2007 and they took meachem, what a bunch of heckin morons, lol

4. MT3279

MT3279 Starter

Yeah, I was furious with the pick. That whole draft had me pissed. We did redeem ourselves with last year's draft, however.

5. mike oxlong

I thought maybe chris houston was going to you guys at 27.

6. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

How has Usama Young done

I remeber he was that guy that alway's shoots up draft boards, and I thought "Well maybe he'll make them look good for passing on a CB"

How has he done, seemed kinda raw when he came out.

7. theeraser21

theeraser21 u r a slapdick

I think he was placed on IR last season

8. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Well judging but the fact that he logged 50 tackles I dont think he did

9. K Train

i never liked young....but he has 2 starts in 29 games hes played in, 75 tackles in 2 years (50 last year) and only 2 picks

saints need Dbs....still lol

10. K Train

he played in every game except week one

11. Paintballer8791

Paintballer8791 Paintballer For Life

if i remember correctly from what i saw he looked pretty decent

12. MT3279

MT3279 Starter

He's a decent Dime Back, but that's it. They are talking about moving him to FS since he can't seem to cut it as a CB.

13. dorotheajn

dorotheajn Special Teamer

Correct - Payton, Young and Sharper has all mentioned Young moving to FS. As a matter of fact Usama talked about looking forward to working and learning from Sharper

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'd take Meachem...last preseason he was supposed to be the 'next big thing...'

If he does rod this year, then I'd label him a bust. You can't label a WR a bust after two seasons...it's the hardest position to learn coming out of college.

15. mike oxlong

the opposite of what this guy says

he's a terrible corner. There is a lot of talk of moving him to FS as he just doesn't have the speed to be a man corner in the NFL.

16. K Train

saints are stacked at WR anyway....its hard to judge him with colston, moore and henderson getting all the reps at WR and bush getting more catches than anyone. brees doesnt care who hes throwing to

17. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

I never liked him coming out of Tennessee but if he gets cut its not like there won't be other teams interested.

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

That's what I mean. He was supposed to break through and be the number two guy behind Colston...

He's really not going to get a shot now unless Moore or Colston gets injured.

Someone will sign him if he gets cut...

19. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

I kinda wanted Meachem to work out. But Moore exploded last season, so there's no way he is in front of him or Colston without one of them getting hurt. Plus Devery has started to come on as well. Meachem would be a 4th WR on the Saints depth chart at best right now, so getting cut may actually be better for him anyway.

20. theeraser21

theeraser21 u r a slapdick

Why would you cut him, when you could get some value (conditional pick) by trading him