Steelers Agree To Terms With 1st Rd. Pick C Maurkice Pouncey

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by ravenfan52, Jul 30, 2010.

1. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

The Steelers came to terms on a five-year contract today with rookie Maurkice Pouncey who is on his way to training camp at Saint Vincent College. Pouncey, who started on Florida's 2008-09 National Championship winning team, was the 18th pick overall in the 2010 draft. He is expected to compete immediately for the Steelers' right guard position, although its believed that he is in the team's long-term plans at center. This is the sixth straight year that the Steelers have signed all of their rookies for beginning of camp. Financial terms of Pouncey's contract were not yet available.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2010
  2. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Rookie

Good to see the team really setting up the running game... it would be heaven sent to finally have a good Offensive line...

3. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

Excellent.

Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, Essex, Adams - FTW.

5. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Is pouncey starting center over hartwig?

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

I don't think he is yet. I'd like to think that he would, but I think he'll need a year at RG to get his feet wet and take that C slot by storm next season.

7. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

no no no

starks-kemoeatu-pouncey-foster-adams

essex needs to be backup LT and thats it, he is too finesse for playing the interior

8. Essex would be a disaster at LT

9. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

he's ready to play center right now and make the pro bowl doing so if mangold wasn't in the same conference that is.

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

He may be ready to play center now physically. I'm more worried about him calling line assignments. It's not an easy task for a rookie. If he can do it, that would be phenomenal. Early projections have him at RG for this season and obviously Hartwig starting.

Essex would be awful at LT. That would be a horror show.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  11. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

essex has played well agaisnt freeney and a few others at LT....theyve made it known that he would play LT and starks would play RT if they HAD to go that route at RT. essex is a 330 pound lineman but is weak as heck, hes a 330 pound finesse player and a decent pass blocker he is a backup on the left and thats it. he was the worst guard last year statistically and he was playing next to the worst center which gave us the worst interior. hes just not cut out for the inside, he tried, they gave him a chance, it didnt work out

12. ProFootballFocus graded Essex as the 84th "best" guard, and with a league-high 27 quarterback pressures allowed."

His pass blocking is no better.

13. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Pass blocking on the interior is much different than on the edge

14. I'm fully aware having pass blocked in both spots myself and i can tell you blocking in the interior is much much much simpler.

15. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Pass blocking on the interior is pure power. Technique isnt as essential, as you are blocking pure power players in the 300-350 lbs DT's. Pure finess blockers can get eaten alive inside. On the outside it takes much more speed and technique to block edge psayers

16. -BR-

-BR- Music is my religion.

I'd like to eventually see a line-up of Starks - Kemo - Pouncey - Foster/Urbik - Adams

Still holding out hope for Urbik after a disappointing rookie campaign. He's a big mauler who's ability in the run-blocking game would make for a mean right side for Mendenhall.

17. trust me Jihad you aren't saying anything I don't already know from personal experience. I've never heard that he had strength problems but I'll take it from you. If he can't play inside or LT then I guess that just leaves RT.