Steelers Coach Joey Porter Passes Along Tricks To Steelers Linebackers

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by 86WARD, Aug 16, 2014.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

Joey Porter played with such passion and a fiery temperament in eight seasons with the Steelers that his escapades are the stuff of team lore.

He once approached the Baltimore Ravens team bus after a game and challenged star linebacker Ray Lewis to step off and fight.

In 2004 in Cleveland, he was ejected after getting into a pre-game fight with Browns running back William Green.

The Steelers would like to see some of that feistiness in their new tandem of outside linebackers, Jason Worilds and Jarvis Jones, which is one of the reasons they courted Porter and hired him as a defensive assistant after just one season as a graduate assistant coach at Colorado State, his alma mater.

“That’s to each person,” Porter said. “Either you’ve got that type of passion for the game or you don’t. When I was a player, it kind of worked easier because I could be out there in the fight with them. I’m not in the fight with you. So my words aren’t going to carry the same weight. I can’t actually go out there and fight those battles with you.”

“I can do all the rah-rah stuff I want to, but I’m still a coach, I’m still going to be on the sideline,” Porter said. “I don’t have an opportunity to go out there and make that play to back up my words. That’s different.”

Source: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-to-Steelers-linebackers/stories/201408130088

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Liked this hire a lot when it occurred.