Steelers, WR Emmanuel Sanders Fined $50K For Faking Injury

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by Sweets, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora is reporting that the Steelers and wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders have been fined a total of $50,000 for faking an injury against the Bengals in Week 7.

La Canfora notes that the NFL interviewed Sanders in Pittsburgh last week, and the league plans to announce the discipline Friday afternoon. It will cost Sanders $15,000 and the team $35,000.

As you'll recall, Sanders was healthy a few seconds after a fourth-quarter play ended and then fell to the ground, apparently in an effort to stop the clock and save a timeout. At the time, the Steelers were leading the game 24-17 and they went on to win by that score.

Source: CBSSports

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

it obviously looked fishy when he did it, but i'm surprised the league called him on it.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

I think he faked it...no doubt. But how does the NFL know he faked it? Maybe he wasn't faking it...

Did the Giants get fined when their guys faked all at one time??

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

exactly. they're just assuming he was faking it unless they have some audio or video evidence that it was pre-planned.

seems a little weird.

5. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I think the NFL is going to take a stand on this a little harder now. Most sports are cracking down on "flopping" and I think the NFL realizes they need to join in on that one.

6. falloutboy14

falloutboy14 Rookie

I think the most comparable translation to flopping would be WRs walking around with their arms in the air every time they don't catch a ball. Or QBs looking on in disbelief that the area around them isn't littered in flags after incidental contact. I'd love if the NFL went after that.

Also, hope they got a confession of sorts out of him, because fining someone who was legitimately injured is a slippery slope.

7. He was standing in the huddle and then he goes down to a knee, honestly it looks legit, I think he is just a wimp.

8. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I'd rather be a flopper than considered a wimp....but it did look fake to me...

9. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

So if I fake an injury, my bank account will be $50,000 lighter? Yikes! I call this the New York Giants rule. Kudos to the NFL for cracking down on this.

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

Were the Giants fined?