Steelers' Youth Movement Officially Arrives

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by 86WARD, Aug 30, 2014.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

Those watching the Steelers opener against Cleveland will be treated to something that never has occurred at Heinz Field and has gone unseen in a generation.

First-round picks from each of the past two Steelers drafts will start the opener on defense for the first time since 1988. Back then it was Aaron Jones as a rookie and Rod Woodson, drafted the previous year.

Jones, who had been listed as a starting defensive end on the depth chart, started at right outside linebacker in a 24-21 victory against the Dallas Cowboys at Three Rivers Stadium. He had a nice debut with a sack, two tackles and two passes broken up. He started 12 games that season but only 11 more over a spotty career that nevertheless lasted nine NFL seasons. Woodson had five tackles at cornerback and would go on to make the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The new duo of draft picks to open together on defense Sept. 7 are rookie Ryan Shazier at inside linebacker and second-year man Jarvis Jones at right outside linebacker. As it was 26 years ago, the defense is undergoing a transformation, but the Steelers hope for better results — that team lost its next six games and finished 5-11.

“It’s really exciting because I’ve been dreaming about this all my life,” said Shazier, the 15th overall pick in this year’s draft. “My dream was to get to the NFL. One of the stages I got past, so now I’m on to the second challenge, which is the regular season. I’m just ready to get it on.”

Source: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...arrived-for-the-Steelers/stories/201408300094