TE Tony Gonzalez Excused From Falcons Minicamp

Discussion in 'Atlanta Falcons' started by DaBears22, Jun 14, 2013.

1. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

It's news when a veteran player misses mandatory minicamp. After all, it's the only "mandatory" event of the offseason until training camp.

However, it's hard to find Tony Gonzalez's absence from next week's practices too noteworthy. Atlanta Falcons coach Mike Smith announced Friday that the team gave Gonzalez permission to miss the sessions.

Gonzalez considered retirement this offseason, and his return seemed somewhat contingent on the Falcons allowing him some time away from the team.

Source: NFL.com

2. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

He's Tony Freaking Gonzalez. If he doesn't want to come to mini-camp, he doesn't have to show up

3. GreenFish11

GreenFish11 Special Teamer

We all knew this. It was a rumored condition of his return for another season

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

4. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

Toilolo is the player thats hurt by this not having tony there, tony doesnt need mini camp but it doesnt hurt the young TEs if hes there

5. GreenFish11

It will definitely effect his potential learning but if he hangs around roddy and julio and doesnt discourage ryan by dropping passes, he will be an amazing red zone threat.

Would have been a 1st round TE but he is slow.

6. K Train

Was never anywhere close to a 1st round TE

7. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

He would have easily been better than Fleener or Ertz if he had the wheels. But he doesn't.

8. K Train

Based on what? lol being taller and blacker?

He never complained about being behind ertz and fleener, but he sees his value of as a #2 TE. He would compare to guys like pope and spaeth...very tall and long as blockers, but doesnt offer much as a receiving threat outside of the redzone.

9. GreenFish11

Idk where you get your information but calling him "blacker" is clearly wrong. Dude is barely black I dont even think he is of african descent. [​IMG]

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

10. K Train

I guess hes more pacific islander, but thats besides the point, i just meant darker complexion than his pasty white counterparts, not of african descent...never once has he shown to be better than either of those guys though, the only thing he is more than them is taller, and really theres zero good 6-8 TEs

11. GreenFish11

Yeah I agree. Just being optimistic about a 6'8 TE