The 2019 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by TJ, Feb 6, 2019.

1. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Sure, it's still one month to go to free agency (and the start of the new league year) but I've been reading some news, and the most interesting ones come from Philadelphia where Nick Foles wants to leave, but the Eagles won't make it so easy for him.

The Eagles exercised their option on Foles.

Then Foles opted out. Apparently it was a "mutual option" (that's new).

Now apparently the Eagles will use the franchise tag on Foles hoping to trade him for a high draft pick.

Who will bite? I'm guessing they won't trade him within the division so the Giants and Redskins are out, so all I can think of is Jacksonville or Denver...or maybe Oakland.

As for my Cowboys, the number 1 priority will be to get DeMarcus Lawrence paid. Word says he'll demand Donald/Mack money but I don't think he's worth it. Also extensions for Cooper, Dak and even Zeke are necessary, although not urgent. Zeke has already threatened to hold out if he doesn't get an extension this year. The Cowboys have cap room for the first time in my life, and all will have to be used to keep our core players, which only means we have been drafting well lately...

Stay tuned...

2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Flacco traded to the Broncos. I thought that was where Foles would end up. I'm guessing Jacksonville may be his next top destination.

3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I wonder what the thought process was. The Broncos are probably sending a mid-round pick for Flacco, who's still owed $66 million for the next three years (not guaranteed, though). If Foles is tagged, he'd command about $25 million guaranteed, for one year only. They could've send the same mid-round pick for Foles, a younger and better (IMO) QB than Flacco. Then play Foles for a year and see if he can repeat the magic of his past two years in Philadelphia.

Or maybe the Eagles think they can get a 1st round pick for Foles?

4. DawkinsINT

Mike Garafolo said the Broncos had no interest in Foles. They looked into him as only a secondary option.

5. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Eagles have confirmed they will not tag Big d**k Nick and he'll be a free agent next week.

I just hope he doesn't go to Washingon...anything else is fine. Yes, even the Giants.

6. DawkinsINT

I'd hate Foles going to the Giants with their weapons. Plus I live in Giants country. I hope he ends up in Jax.

7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

So Jason Witten is coming back to the Cowboys. It's a win-win. We fill the massive hold at TE, and Monday Night Football gets a new color guy. I still think that old, washed up Jason Witten is way better than any other TE we had.

Also, not football related, but Bryce Harper just signed with the Phillies so I think you guys are ok with it.

8. DawkinsINT

So glad that Witten is leaving the booth. He was awful.

Earlier today is seemed like Harper wasn't coming to Philly. I already started hating him, so now I'm torn...haha.

9. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

The Cowboys have franchise tagged DeMarcus Lawrence for the second year in a row (which Jerry said a hundred times he wouldn't do) and it almost guarantees he won't be back after this year. Every offer must now start at 20+ million and with extensions to Dak, Zeke, Cooper and others, it will be next to impossible.

Drafting well is a curse now. Who knew?

10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Ok, then!! "Legal Tampering period" is in effect which basically means free agency has started:

Nick Foles to the Jaguars (picture me shocked).
    Landon Collins to the Redskins
    Trey Flowers to the Lions
    Frank Gore to the Bills. I had to double check...it's the same Frank Gore as when I was still in college.

And more, many more to come...

11. DawkinsINT

Eagles trade for Desean Jackson. I like having speed on the outside again.

12. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Apparently the Browns are seriously pursuing Odell Beckham and I hope they pull it off and get him out of the NFC East.

13. DawkinsINT

I'm glad OBJ is out of the east too, but I'm surprised how many Giants fans that I know are ok with this.

Le'Veon Bell to the Jets apparently. That's a nice place to rot.

14. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Yes!! The Browns pulled it off!! That guarantees the Giants will not be relevant for this year, and maybe next. The Redskins are still -and will always be- the Redskins, so this could be a two-horse race for the division in 2019.

Bell gambled and lost. Turned down 70 million from the Steelers and signed with the Jets for 52 million. He lost 15 million by not playing last year, and 18 million of the offers difference. That's 33 MILLION DOLLARS LOST. Now he says it was never about the money. Yeah, right. Whatever to help you sleep at night, buddy.

15. DawkinsINT

Earl Thomas to the Ravens. Even though he's a little older now, I'm glad he didn't go to Dallas.

16. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

My heart is broken...

17. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

18. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I'm all for the pass interference reviews. Such a big penalty deserves to be looked at with more attention, as it was proved last january in New Orleans.

19. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

So, in a span of 2 hours it was reported that DeMarcus Lawrence turned down a 6-year, $120 million offer from the Cowboys, and now, they're trading for Robert Quinn.

Lawrence is not worth Mack/Donald/Von Miller money. Yes, he's good. Just not THAT good. I'm fine with us letting him walk. We have bigger fish to fry with Dak, Zeke and Coop.

Makes you wonder if Jerry will try to recover a 1st round pick for him. In a DL loaded draft, it will be tricky...

Stay tuned...

20. DawkinsINT

I'm really happy with the Eagles getting Jordan Howard from the Bears for only a 6th (could possibly be a 5th). He doesn't have breakaway speed and can't catch well out of the backfield, but he's rushed for over 3000 yards the past 3 seasons.

They obviously still need to draft a back, but this is a good move for almost nothing.