The Truth About Gene Upshaw

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by mj1987us26, Aug 23, 2008.

1. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Upshaw helped and hindered - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
    I know yahoo writer are often idiots, but this article really puts everything into perspective. Plus this is a good discussion topic about who gene was and what he did prior to his tragic death. BTW lets try and keep this discussion civilized.

2. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Fuck Dallas

You can't deny the fact that Upshaw had a massive part in keeping labour peace in a landscape that changed dramatically in the early 90's with free agency. He helped the league put in a system that gave the players a good chunk of money and gave them options in where they played whilst preserving the fair nature of competition with a salary cap and retaining the draft.

On the other hand, some of the stories of how retired players like John Mackey and Ed Simmons have struggled is proof that the NFLPA had their eye off the ball for some of the so called smaller issues.

It's very hard for one man to strike a perfect balance, Upshaw obviously upset some people but was admired by others. Much like a politician, it's impossible to keep everyone happy, you have to try and appease the majority.

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

upshaw IMO did an excellent job overall for the players. his one flaw doesn't take away from that.

4. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Basically he died of roids... Roids and pancreatic cancer go hand in hand. Upset SOME? people Chris? He was hated over that period of time. I don't know how he kept his job...

R.I.P.