Tom Coughlin Will Bench Any Player For Intentional Helmet-To-Helmet Hits

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by BigBlueBruiser, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Tom Coughlin Will Bench Anyone For Intentional Helmet-To-Helmet Hits

With the rash of concussions that broke out during Sunday's games in the NFL, New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said he can see "stronger measures" taken against players who deliver illegal hits on defenseless receivers. "I know that one of the recommendations or the strongest one has been that since the money does not seem to be a deterrent, then it has to be more than that," Coughlin said in his Monday press conference. "Always, it is quite frustrating, to be honest with you, if a player is forced to leave a game because of an illegal hit and the other player continues… that doesn't really seem right. I'm sure there will be stronger measures taken." During the Giants' season opening win over Carolina, tight end Kevin Boss was knocked out with a concussion when Carolina safety Sherrod Martin hit Boss in the back of the helmet as the tight end jumped to try and catch a high pass, and Boss left the game on a cart early in the first quarter and he missed the following week's game at Indianapolis. On Sunday against the Lions, Detroit linebacker Zack Follett was carted off the field after he suffered a neck injury when Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul went to block Follett and their helmets collided on a special teams play. Pierre-Paul, who could be fined even though the helmet-to-helmet hit was not intentional, is doing fine according to Coughlin. "Both guys were trying to do their job," Coughlin said. "It's unfortunate. Sometimes the head does get in the wrong position. You stress it and you coach it." Coughlin said that his staff repeatedly instructs players to keep their heads up, especially on special teams and if a player doesn't do it, they can be demoted because of it. "We may back them off for a week -– maybe they're the second guy now –- but you do have to continue to coach and to tell them that a lot of these things happen when a guy gets hit on the side of the helmet or he ducks his head down rather than keeping his head where it should be," Coughlin said.

Source: ESPN New York

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2010
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

As should every coach. But really, how is he going to be able to tell if they are intentional? How many really are?

3. The Brandon Merriweather hit is the poster child for that sort of thing.....

4. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

I don't like the idea of a coach benching players for this reason. Feels like the coach isn't supporting his player. And if that's the case the team has to lose some intensity on the field out of fear of being benched for an accidental H2H.

Let the league handle it.

5. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I actually enjoyed what the Monday night guys just said about h2h. It's unavoidable

6. Flacco2MasonTD

Flacco2MasonTD ಠ_ಠ

I say the league can deal with the player after the game... which the player is automatically ejected from if the other player is shaken up.
    The other major (contact) sports seem a lot more liberal with their game misconduct ejections than the NFL which is odd because health wise NFL athletes seem to be gambling the most.

1 person likes this.
  7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Exactly.

A coach can't judge whether or not a hit was intentional to start with. Every coach has to come out and say what Coughlin said because it is a serious issue but not one where the coach can make the right judgement call during the game.

8. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

I call shenanigan's anyway. Coughlin has never had a problem with his team frequently shoving, swinging, brawling, and general thuggery after the whistle so why would he act on anything during the play.

9. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

i remeber coaches giving out skull stickers for our helmet if we nocked a player out of the game, cuased a fumble by hitting a player hard etc etc

10. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

Do you actually believe a word that you just wrote? Giants do dumb crap like every team, but you are f'n nutty if you think strict butt Coughlin wants any of it.

11. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

He is strict if you miss his meetings or practices.
    I have never heard of him so much as mentioning the thuggish behavior his teams have been known for let alone disciplining anyone for it.

12. Chubz

Chubz 1st Stringer

please explain and cite examples.............................

13. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

How can I site examples of something when I am saying it has never happened? Boy you jersey boys can be thick.

14. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i don't think coaches encourage players to injure the opposing players and I know that most coaches in the nfl are properly teaching defenders to keep their helmets up. however, even in youth leagues, it's a problem. the helmets are so large and feel so safe, it's an instinct for players to just put the helmet down and lead with it like a weapon. We've had to bench kids who continue to do it. i think we may see some guys sitting on the bench for a few plays in the nfl if they simply aren't keeping their helmet up. THAT is pretty easy for a coach to see and hand out a punishment.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

The point at where players are taught to hit the opposing player is going to have to be lowered. Football is a fast sport a defender may think he's in position and at the last second the offense back/receiver could move and there isn't enough time to process or execute the adjustment and hits occur. Players can be taught everyday how to do it correctly, but it's going to occur no matter what because it is the nature of the game.

Coughlin's never going to be able to tell what is intentional and what isn't...unless it's totally blatant.

16. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

how does the speed of the game have anything to do with keeping your helmet up and keeping your feet on the ground when you tackle?

17. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Don't bother Capt. In Wards world Harrison just stands there as an immovable wall and receivers throw themselves into him in an illegal fashion.

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

You must never have played football. You can keep your head up, but if a receiver or back is moving, you'll never ever have perfect position every time. So you think ALL defenders should just stand and wait for a receiver or back come to them and then use the proper techniques of breaking down, explode through the ball carrier and drive & lift the ball carrier? Because it's that easy every time...lol.

Yeah, that's what happens. :icon_rolleyes: Have anything else to contribute to the topic?

19. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

That's a slight exaggeration of the crap you spewed to try to explain away the Massaquoi hit

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

What's crap? The tackling technique that is taught on all levels of football or the fact that football is a fast game?