Top Twelve 2009 *Plus Misc. Observations...

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Advice' started by Cardinal Carnage, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Assuming 6pts all TD's with bonus on long TDs
    1pt 10 yards rec/rush 1 pt 25 yards passing

1. AP
    2. Forte
    3. Jones Drew
    4. S Jackson
    5. L Tomlinson
    6. M Turner
    7. Chris Johnson
    8. Steve Slaton
    9. Larry Fitzgerald
    10. Brandon Jacobs
    11. Gore
    12. Portis *revised :)

Really not on the Deangelo repeat...
    Afraid of Westbrook and the Rookie Vulture...
    Portis is early second rounder for me...
    Gore is early second rounder for me Boom or Bust...
    Sleepers... Matt Ryan; Ryan Grant; Avery
    Busts... Jay Cutler (overpriced); Reggie Bush; Brandon Marshall (overpriced)
    Round 17 picks... Michael Bush; Jerome Harrison; Juaquin Iglesias
    I'll never draft him again- LARRY JOHNSON...
    Can't wait for the season to start!!!!

2. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

I would drop Turner down. He was overused last season and almost all of his 100 yard games came against teams that were horrible against the run. He plays much better teams(at least on paper) this season.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

True that Turner plays better teams this season, but the Falcons' Offense should better this season as well...

4. I agree that the middle of round one gets muddy... after pick three I'd almost rather draft at 10-12...

5. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

even with 6 pts, I would never put a QB in the top 10 or 12 unless you start 2 or you get point per completion

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

based on what, the addition of Tony G. I think the falcons are coming back to earth this year. They won a couple miracle games last year.

6. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Turners good games last season were..
    DET
    KC
    GB
    OAK
    NO
    CAR(second game at home)
    SD(only avereged 3.9 ypc)
    TB
    STL
    all other games he looked average at best. The only thing that the Falcons did in the off season was get TG. He may help the offense but that won't help Turner that much.

7. That's why I love these dialogues prior to draft day!! list revised...

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Gonzalez will open things up but he's not the only reason the Falcon's should be better. The Falcons O-Line is intact which is huge...another year under their belt playing together. Ryan's second year in the league, with that he'll get more of the playbook.

I don't think he'll beat or get to last years numbers but I also don't think 1500 yards and 11-12-13 TD's is out of the question for Turner. He may come down a little, but I don't think it's out of the question to rank him 6th overall. He'll probably go higher in most drafts...

9. mike oxlong

first off baker missed the entire second half of the year which is never good for a rookie trying to play in the nfl. He is a good pass protector, but is light for his height and is not a very good run blocker. He needs to get stronger and more aggressive in his run blocking. Clabo and Blalock are the best players on their oline and Dahl, while showing that he can be downright nasty as a lineman never played a game before last year. In the five games that Sam Baker started at left tackle, Michael Turner carried the ball 110 times for 541 yards but 220 of those came in the first week against the Lions. He averaged only 3.6 in the other four games. Even though they signed mayberry, this line is not deep at all. Some teams can absorb an injury on the line and still have talent, if this line is injured then the falcons will suffer greatly for it.

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

I realize that and I also realize that Weiner retired. Baker's better than Weiner. If Turner could run like that with Weiner, he could've run like that with Baker. I won't argue that the line lacks depth, but if Baker can stay healthy, there's no reason Turner can't post some relevant numbers.

Not quite sure where you got your numbers from. I have Turner carrying the ball 103 times for 543 and a 5.27 average. In the 4 games you are talking about, I have him going for 3.99 a carry. Big difference to what you have? Not really. Again, I won't argue you on the depth portion of their line, but the same could be said about a lot of lines in the NFL.

I just don't think it's out of line to rank Turner in the Top 6...imo.

11. mike oxlong

because baker is not a run blocker, he isn't big enough, strong enough or aggressive enough. there is no way you can say that he is based on less than a half a season in his rookie year. and that he was mediocre at best during the time he did play. Baker is a pass blocker.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

You can almost say that about any lineman that gets drafted. "They can pass block but can't run block" or "They can run lock, can't pass block..." lol. They have to develop and Baker began that process. He didn't play bad in the 5 games he started nor was he awful in the last 3. He was definitely better in the preseason and first 5 - 27% of Turners runs were behind Baker (239yards.) The thing the Falcons need to worry about most is Baker's ability to stay healthy...

Regardless whether Baker is in there or someone else. Turner's getting drafted before the 6th or 7th pick in most drafts. What are your projected stats for him? You don't think he can get 1300-1500 yards and 11/12/13 TD's?

13. mike oxlong

I have him projected in the top 10 definitely, he just has more concerns than others do. That's not saying that all players don't have concerns, but all them carries last year is a big one.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

That's a huge concern. But I think he'll be alright...at least for one/two more seasons before they start to take their toll on him. I do think they need to spell him with Norwood a little more. One of the problems with Turner is, is that he is good all around...with the exception of his short yardage game. But yeah, those carries will catch up to him fast. See Larry Johnson...lol.