Vikings Have New Label: NFC North Favorites

Discussion in 'Minnesota Vikings' started by FSUViking, Mar 21, 2008.

1. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

Draft, spring camps loom with new label for Vikings
    Posted by: Mike Schoemer on March 21, 2008 12:13 AM

This is, perhaps, a new position for Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress & Co.
    After a series of free-agent pickups, including a big-play wide receiver, an infusion of youth and a standout safety on the other side of the ball, Minnesota has bolstered itself by raiding the market.

So much so that, combined with the offseason hardships experienced by Chicago and Green Bay (a lost receiver here, a retired legend there), Minnesota may enter the 2008 season wearing a brand new label: NFC North favorite.

"It's not something we think about," Childress said recently in a radio interview. "We know things can look great on paper in February and March, and look totally different in September."

Yet, despite Childress' humility, Minnesota's move from mediocrity to contender might finally bear some fruit in 2008. Arguably, it's the best team since Childress will field since taking the reins from current Jacksonville Jaguars associate head coach Mike Tice.

Consider this: In 2005, the Vikings entered the season with some hope, as Childress took over an above-.500 squad with Daunte Culpepper at the helm. It appeared the Vikes were about a game or two away from competing for a division title.

That season fell apart with Culpepper's knee, and his shoddy play prior to the injury. To their credit, the Vikings made a gallant run to just miss the playoffs, thanks to the inspired play of Brad Johnson.

The last two years, of course, have been a different story. Johnson crumbled in 2006, paving the way for the young Tarvaris Jackson.

Last year, the Vikings rallied again after a 2-4 start, but they just missed the postseason by a nose, falling at home to Washington in what proved to be a decisive game.

Now, it looks like the Vikings could battle for a division title.

Minnesota figures to have the pieces in place to contend, not pretend. Aaron Rodgers is a promising prospect, but he'll be under a lot of pressure to fill Brett Favre's enormous shoes. In that sense, the Vikings' Jackson has less of a divisional microscope on him.

The key to the offense, of course, is the running game. Adrian Peterson will look to avoid the sophomore slump he had in college here in the pros. If he falters, Chester Taylor has proven himself as an admirable second option who can carry the rock.

The aerial attack, which really couldn't get worse, has improved. Jackson has shown, at times, that he can throw an accurate long ball. Bernard Berrian and Sidney Rice are great targets for stretching the field, while Bobby Wade and newly re-signed Robert Ferguson are solid possession receivers.

While many mock drafts have Minnesota boosting that receiving corps through the draft, the Vikings may look to the other side of the ball. The current regime of Childress, owner Zygi Wilf and president Rick Spielman hasn't had to draft hard on the defensive side, but they have been successful there. Linebacker Chad Greenway was good in his second season, which was essentially his rookie year (he missed 2006 due to injury). And Marcus McCauley was solid in his rookie season in the defensive backfield.

Minnesota will look to bolster the defensive line through the draft. Kenechi Udeze is gone, hopefully temporarily, as he battles leukemia. Erasmus James has been a bust, thanks to injuries. And Spencer Johnson signed for millions in Buffalo. The Vikes have to add depth here.
    As the rookies come into camp in early May, along with many veterans, the feeling will surely be different in Eden Prairie.

The opportunity is there. The question is: Can the Vikings live up the label?

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21599.html

2. packerboy

packerboy Bugger off

...People are playing the Favre retirement out of the water. The Vikings still can't pass the ball so people put 8 in the box. Worked at the end of the season.

3. eaglesrule4ever

eaglesrule4ever Pro Bowler

i still think the cheeseheads are the favorites to win!

4. Bears 88

Bears 88 FTW

Sorry, we're the favorites. :smoker:

5. packerboy

packerboy Bugger off

To finish last, yeah. (complete lie considering there's the Lions in the division)

6. Ridin Burgundy

Ridin Burgundy on the Magic Bandwagon

I still think The Pack are favourites. Even if Rodgers struggles (and he will at times) they still have the best all round team in the division but if the Vikings get another reciever I think they will have a shot. Jackson isn't that bad really.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

I would go with the Packers...they're built the best out of any team in the North.

8. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I don't think theres a clear cut favorite in this division. If Favre had stayed one more year, then the Packers would be the clear cut favorite to win the NFC North in 2008. 9-7 or 8-8 might be enough to win the division.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

I agree, but I think the Packers are in the best position to win the division. They have a good young, well rounded team...

10. Skarecrow7

Skarecrow7 Rookie

Until proven otherwise, the Packers are the best of the NFC north. You can't make the qb argument since KITNA is the best in the division. I mean, look at it, you got Dr Jekel and Mr. Hyde Grossman down in Chicago, and Travis Jackson they had to dumb down the offense for in Minni(and has he had a full year without being injured yet?).

11. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

if vikes can get a little bit of an upgrade at QB, then i feel this subject is true.

12. reubenco

reubenco Greenbelter

The Lions are gonna be good.

Remember how they did at the beginning of last year? They were 6-2 (but those two losses were complete blowouts by NFC East teams, they lost 56-21 to the Eagles, and 34-3 to the Redskins)

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

Do the Vikings still have Holcomb on the roster?

14. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Who cares what label a team has 6 months away from the season?

15. DaBearsrule4ever

I thought they got rid of him? I could be wrong though.

16. 49erGenius

49erGenius Banned

Wow, well with Chicago not settled at QB, Detroit not going to win 10 games, and Green Bay not having Favre, maybe this is the Vikings year!:icon_eek: Least I'm glad we skipped them this year.:icon_cheesygrin:

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

But Green Bay still has 52 other players...that are young and have talent...just because Favre isn't there, shouldn't mean they are going to tank it...

18. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

Nobody. But what the heck else is there to talk about for the next 6 months? You can only get so much conversation out of some guys 40 time and look at 4,567 mock drafts.

He's gone.

19. 49erGenius

49erGenius Banned

I'm sure the Packers wont' tank it, but since they finished 1st with Favre, I can't see how in his first year that Rodgers can win 10. Warner was lucky to win the games he won in his first year, and Carson Palmer was lucky to get the Bengals to .500. Plus the Packers got their East/West matchup, with of course another trip to Seattle.:icon_frown:

NFC North: Vikings/Chicago/Green Bay/Detroit. Detroit goes 6 and 10.

20. DaBearsrule4ever

I remember the last few times (during the Culpepper/Moss era) when the Vikings were picked by ESPN to win the division, they fell flat on their faces that season. IF some experts wanna label the NFC North as the worst division in football in 2008, go right ahead but I think it will be one of the more interesting divisions in 2008.