Vikings Select Florida St. QB Christian Ponder (Rd.1, No.12)

Discussion in 'Minnesota Vikings' started by SRW, Apr 28, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

With the 12th overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Florida State QB Christian Ponder. Ponder is smart, poised pocket passer with terrific awareness. He is patient, displays a sense of timing, and hits receivers as they leave their breaks. Ponder is a thinking man's quarterback with terrific intangibles and leadership skills. His physical ability is adequate for the next level, but the injuries that have mounted the past two years and his lack of durability makes him a risk. Ponder watched his draft stock drop in 2010 but he will get a chance to make an impact at the next level because of his physical and mental attributes."

Source: Sports Illustrated

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Wow moment...

3. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Ponder + indoors might be a good combination.

4. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

A trade back made so much sense here. Must have had 0 partners.

5. marty264

marty264 Team Veteran

Tyson Alualu.

6. DatR3al

DatR3al No Days Off

Should have got Prince

7. marty264

marty264 Team Veteran

I wanted Prince too, but his fall makes me wonder if theres something the 'real' scouts saw that the rest of us didn't. Could have just been a great value for NYG.

8. DatR3al

DatR3al No Days Off

Thought that too but cmon now, any DB would have been great...we need the help and a true #1 corner.

9. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

Not to mention that Ponder should have been available 15-20 picks later. All 4 QBs were taken way earlier than they should have been.

10. decent pick I guess. Should have traded down though.

11. Skarecrow7

Skarecrow7 Rookie

If he goes on to be the next Joe Montana, everyone will say what a great pick it was and how brilliant the Vikings were... granted as a Packer fan I am hoping on him being the new T-Jack and we can continue on laughing at the Vikings

12. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

CHAOS...i love it

13. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Obviously took him too early, but if he pans out to be their franchise starter than it was a fabulous pick. So no sense in calling it a reach right now.

I shouldn't like this guy much, and deep down I don't think he will pan out... but there's just something about him.

14. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

i like ponder, i think its a weird fit though. mallet would be amazing there with peterson, harvin, and rice

15. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Yeah, Mallett probably would have been better. Especially as a 2nd round pick.

16. marty264

marty264 Team Veteran

They might have tried, not always an easy thing to do, though. Most teams probably want to move down and grab extra picks, but it only happens when there is an elite player. The guy I thought would be good trade bait lasted until 19.

17. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

I think Ponder is going to be OROY

18. yisman

yisman The Ambivalent One

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

If the lockout winds up back in effect and goes long, I can't see how he'll be OROY. But if he can get in on time and learn some and get some hands on...I could see it.

20. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Ya, thats a HUGE obstacle for him

However if he he does get a full TC, he is more Pro Ready then the other CB, and is going to a team loaded with skill player and aline that can protect him