White lies and White-out: All one needs to become a college head coach

Discussion in 'NCAA Football Talk' started by SportsChump, Mar 26, 2014.

1. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

The first time I can recall hearing that a coach had lied about his job experience involved George O’Leary.
    It was 2001 and O’Leary was applying for the head coaching position at Notre Dame. I’m pretty sure you guys have heard of that school.

O’Leary was actually hired on as their head football coach… for five days. He then resigned after admitting he had lied on his resume. A local newspaper trying to do a feature on O’Leary discovered the mistruths that led to his resignation. O’Leary has since cleaned up his resume (not sure if he includes the five day stint at Notre Dame on there) and has gone on to build a successful program at the University of Central Florida.

All of us are guilty of embellishing upon our past responsibilities when preparing for our next job interview but the majority of us aren’t in the spotlight, applying for major college coaching positions, with the understanding that said background check would undergo the strictest of scrutiny.

The reason I bring this up is because it has happened again, right here in my home town, blocks away from where I live.

Find your next coach at... http://sportschump.net/2014/03/27/white-lies-white-one-needs-become-college-head-coach/13560/

2. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Who wouldn't put a triple PhD. on their resume if they thought they could get away with it? (How many of us are imminently more qualified for a certain job but lose out to because we didn't lie?) For institutions of higher learning to fail in performing the most basic due diligence is comical.

3. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Mark...

I turned in my Master's thesis into the University of Florida back in the day.

Those old bag in the corrections office wouldn't let that thing pass with a comma out of place. Meanwhile, guys without degrees are getting jobs without people reading resumes altogether.

Where's the justice?

4. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

If your Master's thesis would have somehow resulted in the University of Florida making a buck off of you, I'm sure they would have turned their heads to a few commas here and there. $ to these institutions is justice.