Who Is The Best Defensive Coordinator In The NFL?

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by ravenfan52, Oct 4, 2008.

?

Who is the best defensive coordinator in the NFL?

1. d**k LeBeau

26.3%
  2. Rex Ryan

21.1%
  3. Jim Johnson

31.6%
  4. Monte Kiffin

21.1%
  1. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

This is not about which person has had a better career in the league or who will most likely make the Hall of Fame, it's about which coordinator has led their defense the best. This should be a very interesting debate.

2. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Hard to say

My top 4 right now in no order

-Rex Ryan. Probobly has the best system, even if it isnt really his as much Lewis/Nolan's)

-Monte Kiffen- Father of the Tampa 2

-Jim Johnson- been one of the more effective D playcallers of the past 10 years

- Steve Spagnola- Took down the Cowboys, Packers and Pats in the PO. That has to be the most impressive PO performance by a DC ever.

My guess would have to be Kiffen

3. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Fuck Dallas

I wouldn't vote for any becaue they are all the best at their respective scheme. LeBeau runs the 3-4 and is the best at drawing up the zone blitz. Kiffin is a master of the cover 2, Johnson is an aggressive blitzer and Ryan comes from the 46 school although his scheme has some 3-4 looks to it now. They are do a good job and have done over a long period of time.

4. Jihad Joe

Ryan doesnt run a 46, but he does has some 46 subpackages

He runs a hybrid scheme, but I think he more 4-3 than a Lewis and Nolan did

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

They all coach different schemes...it's hard to compare them. The only thing they have in common is their title.

If you want to go based on defensive rankings alone, without looking, I think out of the Ravens, Steelers, Buccaneers and Eagles, the Steelers or Ravens have been more consistently at the top of the league within the last 5 seasons. I think the Eagles had a couple seasons that were doozies on Defense.

6. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Fuck Dallas

That's why I said he came from the school, not runs it, but his original base was in 46 and as his talent changed, he adjusted his scheme as you say.

7. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Kiffin gets my vote, hes been doing it for a long time!

8. Jihad Joe

His dads base was a 46, but Rex is part of Marv Lewis DC tree

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Kiffin's been doing it since 1977.

LeBeau has been coaching professionally since 1973 (after his 14 year NFL career.)

You may have to change your vote based on your criteria...:icon_lol:

10. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Fuck Dallas

And his Dad gave him his first NFL job with the Cardinals in the 90's. I don't doubt Marv Lewis had a massive effect on him but he comes from the 46 tree originally IMO.

11. Jihad Joe

Ya, but the system he runs now is what was in place when Lewis put it in, other than some tweeks

12. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

Rex ran the 46 a few years ago, but it has sinced evolved to more of a 3-4 look.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

And you knew this when you were 9? :icon_lol:

14. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

The Mad Scientist continues to baffle you with brilliance or befuddle you with bullcrap. Rex is the man. Key word hybrid.

15. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Monte Kiffin

16. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

LeBeau.
    Not sure how I missed this thread.

17. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

Hey... where's twinkyhead Smith? :think: