Why are the post icons all changed?

Discussion in 'Site News' started by SRW, Jun 26, 2007.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Many people might have noticed that I am in the process of editing all the post icons on the site and you might be wondering why. The reason for the changes is because I was contacted by a lawyer from the NFL regarding trademark violations:

Part 1 of the letter from the NFL
    Part 2 of the letter from the NFL

I have been in touch via telephone with the league office and as of today all NFL team logos and the NFL shield are not to appear on the site's front page anymore.

We also discussed vBookie and after talking it over it was decided that since no actual money is being transfered that the vBookie feature is ok. We are not out of the woods with vBookie yet though. I was asked to send an email back explaining the changes I have done to the site and also explaining the vBookie feature to the NFL in greater detail. They will let me know if the feature violates any of their policies after that.

So there you have it....

2. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

Bummer. At least we still have some of the logos still...

3. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Wow. Make any changes necessary, obviously.

4. SRW

What? Where?

5. nastynate184

nastynate184 Fuck Michigan

damn now goodell is going after gridiron fans! where will all the madness stop?!

6. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

I still saw some of the teams icons where they typically were before.

The teams I still see:

49ers
    Bears
    Bengals
    Bills,
    Chiefs,
    Falcons
    Jets
    Packers
    Patriots
    Panthers
    Steelers
    Texans
    Titans

The other logos I just see thier names, but with the above teams, I still see thier normal icons where they typically were.

7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Well, rename it "Fake vBookie with Monopoly Money" or something, to make sure they understand :roll:

8. SRW

Clear your cache in your browser. Then you'll see the changes.

9. yisman

yisman The Ambivalent One

huh? many sites use vbookie to bet virtual cash on games in all leagues and I've never heard of a problem.

why would there be a problem?

10. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I guess we're more popular then we all thought...lawyers from the NFL have heard of GRIDIRONFANS.COM...

Why Yis??? you tell us, the letter is there...

11. yisman

yisman The Ambivalent One

I guess the switch to vbulletin has attracted attention, but if they're going after sites for using vbookie, they have A LOT of sites to take legal action against.

makes no sense, I don't get why anyone would have a problem with a virtual betting system.

12. SRW

Well I didn't either but they did....and that's my reality.

13. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Unbelievable...

Next thing you know, Fez will get suspended by the NFL to use the site because he didn't dress properly to post...or I'll be suspended for drink & posting...

14. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I was floored when Steve received the letter too, but I don't think the NFL will do anything once Steve explains exactly what vbookie and vCash is and how it's used and that NO real monies are exchanged for betting. There are still a lot of sites out there with vCash, vBookie and some are still used NFL tradmarked logos, it's just a matter of time before the NFL contacts them as well.

15. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I think Indy sold us out. It's no mere coincidence that he his MIA during this...;)

16. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

I'm sure for a nice monthly check, the league didn't have a problem with it. :D But anyway, the logos are trademarks and we had to accept it. Like some other ppl said befor, other site will be forced to take away the logos, too. Would be a sad thing, if we had to shut down all the NFL bets.
    I won't blame Indy for it, I'll blame Sweets. She makes me voting for the site, every day. :mrgreen:

17. RaiderHater

RaiderHater Guest

Holy crap...
    LMAO. Goodell is the D-Bo of the NFL. "Stop being a snitch and come on!"

18. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

Wow! This board is becoming famous. :cool:

Will the "favorite teams" logos have to go too?

Damn the man!

19. PSID412USM

PSID412USM Pro Bowler

This site must be doing something right if the NFL writing to you and complaining. Now I seen it I understand why you did it.

20. Monietooth

Monietooth Starter

Did you ask incidentally what kind of thing they require for them to give permission for authorized use of their TM's?

Presumably its cash of some kind, but any idea how much?