Why Do They Even Bother.....

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by FSUViking, Aug 11, 2008.

1. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

...with a trade deadline? I don't understand it. I don't know all of baseball's rules, but when the trade deadline was the 31st and here we are on the 11th and the Reds trade Adam Dunn to the D'Backs. It seems like this happens every single year. Someone kindly explain this nonsense to me.

2. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

Once you pass the July 31st deadline then any player has to clear waivers. Which means all the teams in your league get 1st dibs or a chance to put in a waiver claim on that player. If he clears your league then he goes through the other league where every team can put in a claim. If no team claims him then that player can be dealt to ANY team that wants to work out a trade.

If a team puts a claim on a player (which happens a lot with division rivals) then they have I believe 72 hours to work out a trade or that player gets pulled back and cannot be traded at all. A lot of teams will put in a claim just to block any trade with a rival. Hope that helps.

3. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Not many players clear waivers. So it is under the radar.

4. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

It does, but how in the world does someone like Adam Dunn clear waivers. Doesn't he lead the majors in home runs?

5. JPETERSON

JPETERSON Dr. Feelgood

The Red Sox put a claim on Brian Giles a few days ago, but because of his no-trade clause, he vetoed it.
    A lot of teams will simply put guys on waivers to free up cap space.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

the only teams that would really have an interest are teams in contention that are willing to give up prospects for a rental player at a certain position.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Cap space?

8. smeags

smeags militant geek

:pimp2:

9. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

The whole concept is freaking dumb. You have a trade deadline for a reason.

10. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

It's all because of money. Whoever claims that player is going to have to assume the contract #1 and #2 work out a trade giving up prospects for that player. Ther's not a cap in baseball but there is a luxury tax meaning that once you spend over a certain level you have to pay money into a pool that gets distrubuted back to smaller market teams. Which is a dumb hecken rule itself.

11. JPETERSON

JPETERSON Dr. Feelgood

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    I'm an butt.
    I knew what I wanted to say but was typing as I was talking to someone else.