Why Is Cam Newton Playing Worse In His Sophomore Season?

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by CaptainStubing, Nov 12, 2012.

?

Why Is Cam Playing Worse in His Sophomore Season?

1. It's in his head-- he's pressing

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. The league has figured him out and know what coverages to throw at him

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  3. Something Else?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

So, I watched parts of the Broncos vs. Panthers game yesterday, mainly just when the Panthers had the ball. I have seen Cam play a few games this year but I wanted to really watch him closely to see why he is struggling.

In my opinion, he seems to have regressed this season in his ability to read defenses and make quick decisions. he holds on to the ball entirely too long and seems lost too often when looking at the coverage and unable to make a decision.

Some have theorized that defenses have figured him out and are confusing him with coverages. Others, including his own head coach, say all of this is in his head and that he is just pressing ....... trying to do too much.

So, I have a question for everyone that has watched Cam play this season and also watched him last season ............. Has the league 'figured him out' or is he just pressing, trying to do too much (or is it something else entirely) ?

2. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

I say the league most likely have figured out which coverages to use. Remember after vick's first year teams were learning how to defend him

3. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I think it's a little of both.

4. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

It's a combination of teams learning how to play him and his immature ability to mature and become a QB over being a football player.

5. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

We was overrated his rookie year. He had good stats, but a lot of it was fluff, and he struggled against good defenses. He could have improved, but he is way too cocky and buys into his own hype to easily

Jamarcus Russel had one semi decent season too

Sent from my HTC Vivid

6. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

he is playing up to his ability now. He has not impressed me at all, either in college or in the pros. Not totally hating on him but I never say him as a qb. Ran the ball too much in college. People were enamored by his size which means nothing in the pros.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

It also looks like the Panthers are starting to go with more of an NFL offense this year than the "Auburn Offense" they were using last season and Cam isn't grasping hold of that...

8. Buck Fenson

is he still grasping his shirt after a touchdown?

9. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yes, i remember seeing him do it at some point sunday............. the broncos players were doing it a lot more though ................

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

Yeah. He's still trying to be Superman...

11. Buck Fenson

SMH. Thought he may have chilled a bit with all the losses his team is accumulating. Guess he is going to be the type to look for personal accolades and not worry about team goals. Just seems stupid to celebrate when you are losing.

12. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Think it's just a case of the league's DCs getting a handle on his comfort zones. Cam seems to have happy feet back there w/his head on a swivel.

Just seems he's not reading to the D anymore. Thinking too much & not reacting enough.

13. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Maybe the Panthers are asking him to do too much? Do we have another Vince Young on our hands? One who had it all in college, but can't bring that ability to the NFL?

14. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Expectations can be a mother hecker to a young player. Last year there were far more haters and disbelievers and a lot of people thought he would bust. He had a very good rookie campaign, so now there are expectations for him to at least play the same or better, and he clearly can't live up to them right now.

15. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

horrible play calling that is hindering his growth. you cant just try options forever, he needs to be developed as a QB. They need to feature Stewart and Williams more. They need to play him like roethlisberger was played, not how denver had to adjust for tebow

16. Tarkus

That would be the 2nd question I had. Did the league also catch up to the Panthers OC? If I'm not mistaken, I think David Shula is the QB coach & he's had some success in the past but you're right, with a stagnant playlist, Newton doesn't stand a chance on his own.

17. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

and what i meant about roethlisberger is that he was developed by making him play in a traditional offense, even though for years it was reliant on him dropping back, struggling to read the defense, keeping the play alive with his legs, and finding a wide open guy down field.

i think it was very effective in developing a guy like him, and i think him and cam are pretty similar in ability. ben didnt throw much, but he averaged like a record high YPA because he was able to throw down field when he was only throwing 15-20 passes per game.

running options with cam is just going to turn him into a player that never reaches his potential, and probably injure him. if they put him in a real offense, feature their 2 RBs, and let cam play his game hed be much better

18. Tarkus

Gotcha...

Yea, it seems their plan is to rely on his 'strengths' which always dooms mobile college guys in the long run. I put more blame on the Panthers than Newton' inability to adapt.

They're definitely not doing the kid any favors at the pro level.

19. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I Heard rumours about cam when he went to the pro bowl last season.he pissed a lot of the other players off by acting like a diva,thinking he was the best ever and he was the best out of all the players there,including drew breese. he's ok,but i would bet thet nick foles of the agles wins more games than scam ever will at the pro level!

20. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

The league has figured out how to disguise their defenses so he can't read them and gets confused.