WR Larry Fitzgerald Prefers To Remain With Cardinals

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Sweets, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Perennial Pro Bowl wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald is entering the final year of his contract with the Arizona Cardinals. As a 28-year-old on the 2012 free agent market, Fitzgerald, who signed a four-year, $40 million extension with $30 million in guarantees in 2008, would certainly reclaim the title of highest-paid wide receiver in NFL history. Fitzgerald enjoys the anonymity playing in Arizona provides, and would like to remain with the Cardinals, Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. "I try to put it like this," he said. "I have one more year left on my deal, my job is to try to help the Arizona Cardinals win a championship and that’s my focus. I would like to play there. I’ve enjoyed my seven years there. If they want to keep me they’re going to have the first option to keep me. If they don’t, then obviously I have to find employment elsewhere." The actual final year of Fitzgerald's deal is 2012, but that year is voidable and the Cardinals are prohibited from using the Franchise or Transition tag to retain Fitzgerald, who has caught 613 passes for 8,204 yards and 65 touchdowns in his seven-year career. Fitzgerald is 293 yards and two touchdowns away from becoming the franchise's all-time leader in all major receiving categories.

Source: macsfootballblog

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2011