Less than 30 minutes into practice on Thursday, Bill O'Brien called the team together and told them that if offensive lineman Ben Jones could catch a punt then he would call an end to practice right then. Rookie kicker Chris Boswell kicked the ball to Jones and he caught the punt, putting an end to the Texans' minicamp. Here are some of the main story lines from this minicamp going into training camp:
- Ryan Fitzpatrick has been named the starting quarterback by Bill O'Brien. He should have at least 2 more good
Fitzpatrick has been named the start at QB for the Texans.
productive years left.
- Andre Johnson was a no show during this mandatory minicamp. He says he is upset because he is tired of losing.
- Derek Newton has been named the starter at right tackle by O'Brien.
- Rookie offensive lineman David Quessenberry has been diagnosed with lymphoma and is taking chemotherapy treatments.
- There should be a good battle during training camp for left guard between Ben Jones and Xavier Su'a-Filo.
- Jadeveon Clowney was forced to miss the entire minicamp because of sports hernia surgery. He should be ready by training camp.
- J. J. Watt suffered a minor hyperextended knee, but he should be good to go.
- The inside and outside linebacker positions should have really good competition going on.
- The battle for both safety positions will be a good one as well.
The Texan's training camp should be very interesting to watch. There will be several battles going on for starting spots and for roster spots.