Following the 2014 NFL Draft's conclusion Saturday night, the New Orleans Saints and all teams across the league raced to the phones to begin compiling their lists of undrafted free agent signings.Could Chidera Uzo-Diribe be the next UDFA Saint to make the team?
The Saints have made hay in this market in recent seasons, unearthing the likes of Pierre Thomas, Junior Galette, Khiry Robinson, Josh Hill and Tim Lelito to name a few. Now, the team hopes to find another diamond in the rough with their 2014 UDFA class. Having met needs at receiver, corner, and Linebacker, it will be interesting to see the type of players the Saints set their focus on early, as the highest regarded undrafted players will be able to cherry pick their destinations. The Saints could look to bring in additional skill players and defensive depth for training camp, and could be on the lookout for a Quaterback to add to the group as well.
As of 9 pm Sunday, the Saints have either agreed to terms with or extended rookie mini camp invitations to the following undrafted free agents...
2014 New Orleans Saints UDFAs & Mini Camp Invitees
- Pierre Warren - S - Jacksonville St.
- Ty Zimmerman - S - Kansas St.
- Timothy Flanders - RB - Sam Houston St.
- Logan Kilgore - QB - Middle Tennessee St.
- Micajah Reynolds - DT - Michigan St.
- Je'Ron Hamm - WR- Louisiana Monroe
- Trashaun Nixon - LB - New Mexico St.
- George Uko - DT- USC
- Chidera Uzo-Diribe - DE - Colorado
- Spencer Hadley - OLB - BYU
- Jerome Cunningham - TE - Southern Connecticut
- Seantavius Jones - WR- Valdosta State
- Brian Dixon - CB- NW Missouri St.
- Derrick Strozier - CB- Tulane
- Matt Armstrong - C - Grand Valley St.
- Brandon Coleman - WR- Rutgers
- Kasim Edebali - OLB - Boston College
- Sergio Castillo - K - West Texas A&M
- Brandon McCray - DT- Louisiana-Lafayette
- Lawrence Virgil - DE- Valdosta St.
- Cqulin Hubert - LB - Southeastern Louisiana
- Nic Jacobs - TE - McNeese St.
- John Hubert- RB- Kansas St.
- Shawn Jackson - LB - Tulsa
- Steve Hull - WR- Illinois
- Spencer Harris - WR - Illinois
- Ryan Boykin - RB - Ohio
Some Player Notes
- Flanders leaves Sam Houston State as the Southland Conference's all-time rushing leader with 5,664 yards and 66 touchdowns.
- Zimmerman had 257 tackles and 13 interceptions during his career at K-State, and joins former teammate, 6th round pick Tavon Rooks with the Saints.
- Tim Lelito, a Grand Valley State alum, will face competition from another GVS player in former teammate Matt Armstrong.
- Uko was a two-time All-Pac 12 honorable mention selection, playing both Defensive End and Defensive Tackle for the Trojans.
- Hamm is a 6-3 233 receiver who grew up in Leesville, La. He has upside as a redzone threat with good athleticism.
- 6-5 330 Reynolds began his career in East Lansing on the offensive line before switching to d-line, and could return to o-line as a pro.
- Uzo-Diribe impressed coaches and scouts at the annual East-West Shrine Game with his explosiveness and athleticism.
- Coleman, the 6-6 225 former Scarlet Knight receiver, recorded 34 catches for 538 yards with 4 touchdowns in 2013, battling a knee injury through the season.
- Edebali grew up in Germany, and was a four-year starter at BC.
- Strozier, who played locally at Tulane, has NFL bloodlines, as two of his uncles played professionally.
- Castillo, a native of La Joya, Tx, won the Fred Mitchell award, given to the top place kicker outside of division 1. He was a college teammate of Khiry Robinson.
- Jacobs, a native of Many, La, began his career at LSU before transferring to McNeese St.
- The Saints also agreed to a deal with OL Mike Golic, Jr. who spent time in the Steelers organization last season. He is the son of Mike Golic.
It seems New Orleans has continued to focus on players at the skill and Linebacker positions, as well as the trenches. We will update this list as more news becomes available.