2014 Schedule Analysis: Atlanta Falcons

Discussion in 'Atlanta Falcons' started by Castilla, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Castilla

Castilla 2nd String

To say the Atlanta Falcons underachieved last season would be a colossal understatement. A team that was listed on many preseason short lists for Super Bowl contention collapsed under the weight of the expectations, bumbling its way to a 4-12 record. Injuries were at least partly to blame, as Roddy White, Julio Jones, and Steven […]

Read the whole post here.

2. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

While you see a step back for the Falcons last year I see them returning to form. That team is a perfect example of front runners. Their coach chokes on big games. And that defense is still not up to par. You said that realistically you see a 10 or 11 win team and I see maybe a .500 team. I see the Saints sweeping them this year and possibly Tampa. Depending on what Carolina does in the draft they could sweep them. Atlanta doesn't do tough physical defenses well. True they got Jackson but he isn't all that. I just don't see them holding up on defense all season. Arizona and Denver should prevail there as well. The Chargers and Chiefs can get it done against them. They still have Stephen Jackson, who I think is done for, as their primary back and unless they go after a bigger back in the draft I don't see a run game in their future. Matty Slush plays well in spurts but is not that consistent in crunch time. He seems to make a crucial mistake at the most disadvantageous time. If they concentrate on shoring up their middle of the defense I see power run games crushing them. I see them battling it out with Carolina for last place with them winning that coveted spot based on their lack of a physical defense.

3. Castilla

Castilla 2nd String

I think they are a lock to draft a running back, and since we are in the era where teams finally realize it's not worth it to dedicate a lot of resources to the position, they could get a quality one in the later rounds. You have more faith in Carolina next season than I do, I see a team with no wide receivers, injury prone running backs and an impotent secondary. Atlanta is a flawed team, but Matt Ryan has shown time and again that he can pull Mike Smith's fat out of the fire with clutch throws, plus Julio Jones is one of the best WRs in the game. You could be right, though. If they flail around again this season, Smith is a lock to get fired.

4. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

I am in the vein of building your team to win your division. San Fran and Seattle showed Coach that powerful defenses can overpower a speed offense and a good power running game can push around a defense built around stopping a wide open offense. Personally I think Carolina has an excellent secondary. I couldn't type that with a straight face. When I heard that Harper is their best safety I almost choked. But I think their front seven can mask most mistakes by the back four. Tampa is a wild card in all this. They always play us tough and hopefully our improved defense can keep them in check. So by default we should, in theory, win the division. But I don't think the South title is what Coach is after and the question will be if we can get homefield and make everyone come to us. Didn't mean to hijack this thread but there are not any Falcon fans here I think.