3 player Keeper League - Draft Night Strategy Thoughts

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Advice' started by msquints19, Aug 26, 2014.

1. msquints19

msquints19 FLY EAGLES FLY Premium Member

Roster Positions:QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
    Scoring:
    Pass: .25 per completion, 30 yards ppt, 6 pt TD, -2 for Int
    Rush: 10 yards ppt, 6 for TD
    Rec: 1 PPR, 20 yd ppt, 6 for TD

3 Keepers: Ed Lacy (3rd round), CJ Spiller (5th round), Kendall Wright (11th round). Keeper system is that you give up the draft pick +2 rounds in the following year.

Other kept players: Charles, McCoy, Forte, A Peterson, Demaryius Thomas, G Bernard, J Graham, M Ball, AJ Green, A Luck, D Jackson, J Nelson.

I have the #4 pick in a snake style draft tonight. The third pick is a keeper, so I actually have the 3rd pick overall. I know that #2 pick will take a WR (Dez, C Johnson). Perhaps Manning and more like Brees will be available. Do I target a QB or a WR in the first round?

Also, I have the option of swapping my 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th round picks with the #7 pick in the draft, which gives me a few higher picks later in the draft in return for my 4th. The strategy here would be to get two high quality WRs immediately and wait on a QB. I have been burned by lackluster QB the last few years (C Newton, T Romo) so I am a bit gun shy in that department.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Greg Brosh

Greg Brosh Local Eagles Fan Fantasy Guru

You lucked out keeping lacy since the big 4 are gone.

You have to go receiver because Wright is a WR3 at best. You can afford to wait on RB with Lacy and Spiller

This trade doesn't help you much. you move down 4 spots, essentially passing on a better wr1. and giving up a second isn't a good move. i'd pass.

3. msquints19

It was more strategy than luck, I knew they would be kept. You would pass on Manning or Brees in the first spot? My thinking is that the drop in relative value from Manning/Brees to the next available tier is going to be significantly larger than the drop in relative value from a Brandon Marshall/Dez Bryant to a Antonio Brown/Alshon Jeffrey/ Keenan Allen.

Sorry, in the trade scenario I move down 3 spots in the first, but up 3 in the 2nd, 4th and 6th, probably does't matter though as I am not going that route.

Thanks.

Go Eagles.

4. Greg Brosh

I made a cheat sheet for your scoring for receivers and Brown, Jeffrey and Allen are all top 10 options. so the downside isn't as far as you might think between a megatron/marshall and brown. only a few spots.

5. msquints19

Sorry, a little communication, that is actually my point. I created a cheat sheet and the drop in value for receivers is a lot LESS, than for QBs after that top tier of 3. I was questioning the earlier suggestion of taking a WR in the first round, when there will be high quality options in the second round, vs my thinking of taking a QB first because the drop off in value will be greater.

Thanks again

6. SNPokc

SNPokc DEZ NUTS 2016 Premium Member

My after draft thoughts on my draft tonight is to start thinking of a draft in terms of rounds (ie how many keepers) So my league was a 1 keeper league, so the draft started in the 2nd. I took Calvin Johnson because I would have taken him in the first. I think it's best to think that way in terms of who you will keep. So I would take the first player you would take if it were the 3rd round. If there is someone you would take in the first take them. if there is no first but a second, take them and so on. That's the best way I could describe it.

Walnuts likes this.
  7. Greg Brosh

Did this draft happen yet?

8. msquints19

Happened last night. Here is the team, remember, this is a 3-team keeper league (have to keep them +2 rounds), so some picks are elevated due to potential keeper status.

1.(4)Peyton Manning (Den - QB)
    2.(17)Alshon Jeffery (Chi - WR)
    3.(24)Eddie Lacy (k) (GB - RB)
    4.(37)Pierre Garcon (Was - WR)
    5.(44)C.J. Spiller (k) (Buf - RB)
    6.(57)Carlos Hyde (SF - RB)
    7.(64)Brandin Cooks (NO - WR)
    8.(77)Josh Gordon (Cle - WR)
    9.(84)Lamar Miller (Mia - RB)
    10.(97)Dennis Pitta (Bal - TE)
    11.(104)Kendall Wright (k) (Ten - WR)
    12.(117)Mark Ingram (NO - RB)
    13.(124)Philip Rivers (SD - QB)
    14.(137)Markus Wheaton (Pit - WR)
    15.(144)Eric Ebron (Det - TE)
    16.(157)Cincinnati (Cin - DEF)
    17.(164)Nick Folk (NYJ - K)

RB/WR/TE Waiver: Clay, Austin, White, Stills, Boykin, Nicks, Baldwin, Britt, Holmes, Walker, Hawkins, Greene, M Williams, Brown, Graham, Gates, J JOnes, Starks, Cotchery, Polk, T Wright, Grimes, Dunbar, Fleener, M Jones, K Thomkins, O Daniles, A Brown, J Finley, D Moore, BJGE, J Cook, B Gibson, M Lewis, D Rogers.

9. Greg Brosh

Gordon at the 8th spot is questionable now that his appeal has been upheld (out the year). I don't know if he'd be worth keeping either and giving up the 6th round pick in 2015.

Since you can start up to 2 tight ends, I might drop him and pick up Wright now that he is in New England.

Still a really good team with some nice late value gems in wright and ingram. ebron could be someone to keep for next year. even hyde.

10. SNPokc

I still wouldn't bail on Gordon yet. I know his suspension was upheld, I'd wait to see if he or his lawyers file a temporary restraining order against the NFL which would allow him to play until the court settles the matter.

11. msquints19

With 8 bench players, we have deep rosters, so I went into with the possibility that he wouldn't play. Didn't like a lot of the guys around him, like Steven Jackson, so I am fine holding out for a TRO, or having him as a keeper option next year. No need to dump him immediately.

12. SNPokc

exactly, I'm actually going to pick him up in all the league he was dropped, most of them I don't have a kicker yet anyways. I'll hang on to him until September 4th and then get kickers with him if he doesn't file.

Also not going to put in a waiver claim on him. No need to go to the back of the line.