49ers DE Justin Smith Ejected Vs. Chargers For Contacting An Official

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by BigBlueBruiser, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Matt Maiocco of Comcast Sports Net Bay Area reports via twitter that 49ers defensive end Justin Smith has been kicked out of the game against the Chargers for apparently making contact with an official. Smith was getting into it with Chargers TE Kris Wilson when he pushed umpire Garth DeFelice out of the way while the official attempted to keep Smith out of the dispute, and DeFelice immediately threw a flag. It wasn't malicious on Smith's part, but it's an automatic ejection by rule. The 49ers will be without their best defensive lineman for the final three quarters. The ejection of Smith, who has started 153 straight games, occurred shortly after San Diego's defense stopped the 49ers on fourth down inside the one, maintaining the Chargers' 7-0 lead early in the second quarter.

Source: Matt Maiocco: Twitter.com

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
  2. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Damn BBB you're on it bro!

Sucks for him but you can't touch an official. Period.

3. Thanks man.....what I do best. :icon_cool:

Word. Garth DeFelice is one of those officials that doesn't take anyones crap.

4. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I wonder if he hurt himself more with a bigger fine or possible suspension by not leaving the bench after his ejection.

5. Good point.....Roger Goodell may look at that as well and see if that warrants further punishment.

6. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

any video

7. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

8. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

it was very iffy, and not only that the ref pushed him back. How is that okay?

9. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Exactly!

10. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I guess Justin should have just punched Wilson in the head and face and just paid a fine. :rolleyes:

11. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Hahaha, same punishment. He should have gotten his moneys worth.

12. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

As a veteran, he should know better

13. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

Shoulda sent Sweets out there to deal with that ref. :icon_cheesygrin:

14. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

touching the ref is against the rules but putting statements like he SHOVED a ref is very misleading....ref looked like a rod last night...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  15. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

He didn't shoved him, he just guided him out of the danger zone :icon_cheesygrin:

16. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

Meh, you could tell that Smith didn't even notice it was the ref at first. I understand the rules, but that's bullcrap.

Notice that the ref yells "that's bullcrap" when Smith tries to defend what he did.

17. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Looked like he shoved him to me. I'm fine with that flag and would be if it were an Eagle. I don't see where/how any of you are saying it's iffy?