49ers Might Intentionally Tank Season To Draft Stanford QB Andrew Luck?

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by BigBlueBruiser, Aug 21, 2011.

1. It probably shouldn't come as much of a surprise, that, in the aftermath of the 49ers' extremely ugly preseason-opening loss to the Saints in which neither Alex Smith nor Colin Kaepernick distinguished himself at quarterback, whispers started cropping up in the Bay Area that the team might intentionally go in the tank this season with its sights set directly on Stanford QB Andrew Luck, who excelled under Jim Harbaugh, in the 2012 draft. But the way Pro Football Weekly hears it, if anybody truly shapes up as the Niners' QB of the future, it's Kaepernick, who continues to draw extremely positive reviews from Harbaugh and the coaching staff.

Source: Pro Football Weekly

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2011
  2. Greg Brosh

Greg Brosh Local Eagles Fan Fantasy Guru

Seattle is closer to Luck than the 49ers are.

If anything, the 49ers will hope Josh Johnson doesn't go back to the Bucs in 2012. He had good success under Harbaugh when both were at the U. of San Diego.

3. Been saying that time and time again this past year. He could've been another option besides drafting Kaep.......any option is better than Alex Smith honestly.

The Bucs currently have no interest in trading Johnson and their asking price reportedly was a third round pick.

4. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

49ers have a good shot at winning the West and Kaepernick has got bags of potential, which makes this "connect the dots" article redundant.

5. KISSman

KISSman QB Expert

What NFL fan would put up with their team intentionally tanking the season? Besides, the 49ers have too much offensive talent to have a zero wins in 2011.

6. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer

I'm so damn sick of reading this crap. First they'd have to go 1-15 to make sure they get the spot they'll need. Second, why the hell would they draft kaepernick If that's their plan?

7. Greg Brosh

Greg Brosh Local Eagles Fan Fantasy Guru

sometimes i wonder if carroll is purposely sticking with jackson because he knows he will suck enough to get them the no. 1 pick.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Funny thing is...Andrew Luck's draft status may not be close to it was this year...lol. If any team is thinking that far ahead, they are screwed for YEARS to come...

9. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Ward is correct. Case in point was the 'can't miss' No. 1 pick in the 2010 draft if he would have declared, Jake Locker. One mediocre Senior season later at Washington and the rest is draft history.

10. cKlass

cKlass Rookie

With Alex Smith at QB I'm sure they wouldn't intentionally tank. It would just happen naturally.

11. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Lol, cKlbutt. And .. I agree. Why draft a QB, just to tank and draft another? Stupid rumors. It is PRESEASON. Jeez.

12. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

The ownership may want to tank but I don't see any way the players in that lockerroom would allow themselves to do that. NFL players are way to proud and want to win way to much to lose on purpose. At least I would hope so. If they suck on purpose that's freaking sad.

13. Chipper10

IF for some reason they don't agree to an extension with Gore, it may not matter anyway.

14. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Why? Gore is hardly irreplaceable.

15. Chipper10

49ers offense without Gore? Yeah. I don't think so. Not this season. They have a question at QB. THey can replace Gore, maybe next season. But, who would they get right now to do so?

16. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Yea in the short term they'd be hecked. But honestly, in today's league, I don't think any RB is irreplaceable.

17. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

Funny thing is Cinci and Wash are a lot closer to Luck pick then the niners.

18. Chipper10

Cincy has Dalton. Would they go QB next season before giving him a chance? Same thing as Niners. Washington makes more sense, to me.

19. this is really dumb. and ridiculous.

20. nixaler

nixaler Pro Bowler

Most of the 49ers fans wanted us to lose the 2005 "Bush Bowl" against Houston to draft Reggie. We ended up with Davis instead. Personally I feel that was more valuable than Bush...