49ers PK David Akers Feels ‘Horrible’ About Miss

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Dec 2, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

After exacerbating a pelvis injury last week, 49ers placekicker David Akers was really hurting following the 49ers’ 16-13 overtime loss to the Rams on Sunday.

For the second time in four games, Akers missed an overtime field-goal attempt against the Rams. On Sunday, his 51-yard attempt with 4:16 left drifted just right. On Nov. 11, Akers pushed a 41-yarder left in a 24-24 tie at Candlestick Park.

“It’s a game of inches, and I probably missed it by 3 or 4 inches to the right,â€￾ Akers said. “Just feel horrible for letting my teammates, organization and fans down. I thought I hit it great.â€￾

Instead, Akers collected his latest miss in a forgettable season where he has made just 15 of his past 24 field-goal attempts, including 4 of his past 7 from 40 to 49 yards.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
  2. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

Get healthy for the playoffs. We have the old Akers and this team is 10-2 right now.

3. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer

As I said in another thread....I hate to be one of those CUT HIM NOW guys, but if Akers cant get it together you have to start looking at a guy like Billy Cundiff. What if yesterdays game was the NFCCG? SF needs someone they can trust to come in there and hit those tough kicks.

4. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Cundiff doesn't have the best track record in Conference Championship game winning/tying field goal kicks.

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i agree. san fran has a big issue right now with akers. it is december already and they have a kicker with some major problems. everyone keeps talking about the QB situation there. both of their qb's are decent. I think the bigger problem may be their kicker in january.

6. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

At the very minimum he needs to be benched until he's healthy and bring someone else in on a temporary basis. He's still one of the best in the game when he's right, and worth keeping around IMO, but for the time being they need to bring in someone else.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Didn't they bring in guys last week to try out?