49ers To Blame For Smith's Struggles

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by Omen, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

The 49ers put the finishing touches on their masterpiece "How to ruin a No. 1 draft pick in just over three years.'' Wednesday morning, the team announced, as expected, that Alex Smith would go on injured reserve and will not play this season. The move essentially ends Smith's career as a 49er. The team which has paid him more than $31 million since drafting him in 2005 will almost certainly cut him in the off-season.

Click Here to Read More

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

At last Ryan Leaf's meltdowns were funny to watch :icon_confused:

Top 2 in the biggest busts ever list, right there.

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

it would've been nice if he didnt have four different OC's in four years.

4. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

yup i agree they made it pretty hard for him to thrive and just when he starts doing good(under turner) they let him go

5. SuperBeast

SuperBeast BANNED

Cry me a freaking river! If he had a shred of this thing called TALENT he would have been just fine... If he was able to learn from his mistakes then he would have been just fine..If he was able to throw a ball in the area of his receiver, he would have been fine...If he was able to read a base freaking defense, he would have been just fine....If he was able to audible he would have been fine...

Blaming the Niners? thats about as lame as it gets.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

Blame the Niners? Maybe for drafting him...but that's about it...

7. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Well, although I think he would have failed anywhere as lack of talent and inability to learn tend to end up in failure, the 49ers certainly ruined any slim chance he might have had in the way they handled his career.

8. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

4OC's?? Ya think he would have picked up something constructive from a couple of them that he could possibly use don't ya think?

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

This is what Jason Campbell is going through right now...with all the OC's.

10. SuperBeast

SuperBeast BANNED

One of the major reasons we drafted him was his "intelligence". That "intelligence" lead us to believe he could handle a higher form of football, that he would be able to digest what he saw and move forward, that the learning curve would be somewhat short. I'm not saying short as in a game or two but short as a year or two.

The problem i have with people saying this or that about his OC's and the new systems every year is that at some point Alex needs to retain a certain base, a certain level of play no matter where or what system/oc he has. No matter what he should be able to throw the basic routes and lead the team. He should have been able to show us something each and every time, rather than nothing. Good days or bad days he still should of been able to complete passes, hit wide open receivers, use his checkdowns and hit his hot reads.

Alex makes mistakes way too often against defensive packages that are exotic or complex. Defenses don't do much to confuse him and he still makes very foolish decisions and mistakes. I mean c'mon, a middle linebacker sitting directly in front of you 10yrds away should be something you've seen a time or two. One would think anyway.

I'm not asking for 15 play drives that eat up 10+ minutes, I'm asking for a few drives that aren't 1 run play and two sloppy passes that are either no where near his receiver or the first down marker. This guy is captain Three-N-Out day in and day out. Everything is a struggle, everything is way too hard and nothing ever gets done.

His level of play has never been past "average" and usually hovers around "wtf are you kidding me?!?!?!" and until he can do something to consistently stay above average and show that he doesn't make the stupid mistakes he's prone to then he will remain the poster child of sucktitude...

To be this far in his career he needs to show that he can play at a level he is no where near right now. We should be able to expect certain things from him. Certain things other than what we do. He needs to show that he can handle the NFL whether he has a good game or a bad game. Thus far he has not. The only thing he has shown us is that there is no way i hell we can count on him to lead the team in any fashion.

You can lay the blame on the FO or the OC's all you want but to be realistic in laying the blame you have to realize the player has to be able to play. The player cannot flounder around never advancing. IMO, at some point, you have to take a good look at the player and lay the blame on him. The "it's the other guys fault" thing is childish....

He sucks, whatever, whichever way you look at it....

Move on....

11. bullnutz

bullnutz Rookie

In four years, he never showed progress. Time to move on.

12. SuperBeast

SuperBeast BANNED

don't you ever simplify my 30 min typefest again!!!

lol

13. bullnutz

bullnutz Rookie

So are you a slow typer or just a slow thinker????

14. SuperBeast

SuperBeast BANNED

both....did we just meet or something?

15. bullnutz

bullnutz Rookie

LMAO.

Funny thing is, I didn't read your post before I posted mine. I read the headline, the op and just wanted to add my two cents. I just went a read it, and it is exactly what a lot of people have been saying for a while now. Problem is, you can't say that at Dot Com or you'll be blasted by 3,000 high school kids who are finally old enough to use the computer.

Smith is done. I was never sold on him (you know that), but I actually expected to see a little progress. He played exactly the same this preseason as he did his rookie year. JTO isn't the answer (long term), but he gives the other offensive players some hope and they seem to want to play harder for him. I could see us drafting a QB next year (assuming JTO isn't a huge disaster) and letting him sit and watch for a year or so. The only other option is to go after someone like Anderson if JTO blows.

16. n1gbpackfan

n1gbpackfan Title Town USA

I can remember when everyone thought the 9er's were gonna draft Rodgers, and they all of a sudden passed on him and took Smith. Looks like a dumb move now, but than again, Smith didn't get to sit on the bench for 3 years and learn from an experienced QB. So yeah, in a way it is the 9er's fault. You can't blame the QB, it he hasn't had a line to protect him, or even gave him a chance to learn. He was thrown right into the fire on a team that was not very good at the time.

17. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Rodgers was the guy that the 49ers were going to draft, although I wanted Braylon, Nolan picked Smith at the last minute in a mind warp of some kind.

You can blame Smith, like Beasty said, he was drafted because he's so intelligent yet he can't grasp jack crap, a lot of the time it wasn't the Oline that didn't protect him, it was Smith not knowing how to get out of a situation...he's a putz...I never liked him.

18. bullnutz

bullnutz Rookie

I'm not going to lie. I was excited to see what this kid could do. (near perfect Wonderlic score, and good college FB resume, who wouldn't be excited), but after a horrible rookie year, and a moderatly crappy sophomore outing (the year which most Smith supporters point to in order to show his upside) he never did anything. A play here and there, but for the most part he continued with the same stupid mistakes and bonehead reads. After his second year I was convinced he wasn't going to be "THE" guy. He could turn out to be an average QB, but I'm not ready to rely on an average guy to lead the team out of the gutter.

It's time to move on. If it takes a year on IR and a horribly expensive option for the Niners to part ways, so be it. I think it should have been done this off-season, but the cap ramifications prevented it. I think with the addition of Martz, we'll be looking for a smart veteran who doesn't cost a lot, and a decent qb in the draft.

19. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

time to go be a utah assistant golf coach...

20. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

Amen brothers and sisters!
    Time to get rid of this burden. JTO may not be the savior but at least, he could be just fine until we find an above average QB, no matter how.

Until then, let's pray for Frank Gore and Patrick Willis to stay healthy.