49ers To Blame For Smith's Struggles

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by Omen, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Darius Ali

Darius Ali 1st Stringer

So true. He just doesn't have what it takes to be a starting QB in the NFL. Its as simple as that. He is a bust. Period.

2. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Jamarcus is going down the same road...

3. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

I don't blame the 49ers at all except we should have taken Rodgers instead of Smith. I haven't ever thought Smith would be a good NFL QB, but of course thats only my opinion. I guess if he goes somewhere else and becomes a good to great QB I will have been wrong, but I don't think that will happen. He seems to me to be another Couch, McNown, Carr, Harrington, Leaf, or Drukenmiller!!

4. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

:agreed:

Rodgers would have looked just as awful given the circumstances. Rodgers got to chill on the sidelines, watch one of the all-time greats, learn the SAME offense for a few years, and stroll into an offense with Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, and Donald Lee.

I'd say it's a slightly more favorable situation...

5. smeags

smeags militant geek

yeah but some of the armchair GM's around here seem to think that having that luxury as opposed to being on a team that sucks from the front office to the waterboy and having to learn a different offense every year and not having the same talent rodgers had to start with means nothing.

would smith have panned out if he had it like rodgers ? we'll never know but the situation he had with the niners absolutely had something to do with his bust. there are way too many examples that prove this.

6. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Such a piece of journalism by Killion.

Step 1: Log on .com
    Step 2: Search posts made by Alexcusers.
    Step 3: Merge those "arguments".
    Step 4: Print.

The bottomline is, like Beast said, Alex just didn't have what it takes to be a starting QB in this league. He was just another workout warrior who never panned out at the pro level. He had his share of flaws and he was never able to work on them to improve as a player... namely slow release, poor pocket presence and awareness, lack of touch in his throws (always seemed to make his passes as hard as he could no matter what the distance to the receiver was) and a long, ejaculating list of etceteras.

One of the biggest Alexcuses ever made was the one that says "Peyton Manning wouldn't do crap behind this crappy OL!!!". Well, J.T. O'Sullivan, of all people, played behind a horrible line last sunday, kept getting pressured, was sacked 8 times and should've been sacked a few more, and he still played like a pro QB is supposed to play. The Seahawks tried to rattle his cage and he was still making effective throws late in the game.

Alex just wasn't very good, period.

You should've been at .com back in 2005.

Tim Rattay was our starting QB and he did pretty well (compared to anything we've seen from Smith), but his 4th quarter woes and the golden boy waiting in the wings ultimately got him kicked off the team. Nolan threw him to the wolves, true, but people was like "ZOMG No Problemzz!! Peyton Manning started from day 1 and just look how he turned out to be!1!".

Three years later, Alexcusers want Nolan to be hung off the Golden Gate for rushing and ruining his "development".

It is right to say that Nolan made a huge mistake by starting him so early in his career, being raw and all, but you need 2 to tango, and Alex didn't even bother stepping on the dancing floor.

Ehh... Rodgers could've been the better choice, in hindsight. But let's not forget that despite being a local boy, a sworn 49er fan and also being in the #1 pick conversation, he had one little flaw:

He was a Tedford QB. The NFL had been that way before with other Tedford prospects, such as Trent Dilfer, David Carr and YOEY.

Here's a column I found from Len Pastabelly... I know, not the most reliable source, but it shares a lot of the concerns regarding Rodgers back then:

ESPN - Tedford's methods failing QBs in NFL - NFL

7. Spiman2u

Spiman2u Chiefs fan no matter what

Living in the Bay Area.. I have seen The whiners throw alot of Qbs under the bus..Best known Joe M.. We took him only to beat the 9ers when they met oops..

8. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

Man, I loved that 3rd down completion to Bruce during OT. :cheers:

I really hoped we'd pick Edwards and let Rattay play until we find the real "QB of the future" but no! Nolan went with the trendy pick of a QB with the 1st overall and kicked Rattay ouf of town.:doh:
    The first of many roster management wanderings (from Jamie Winborn to Brandon Moore).

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying smith would be looking at a trip to hawaii every year but it's true that qb's that have a chance to learn in the "same" system for a year or two before they start tend to perform better. of course you have exceptions to that train of thought but they are extremely rare.

10. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

i agree its too many that didnt really help alex pann out and help in along the way. even QB that were thrown in there from day one had the same sysyem year after year like aikman and smith had is best year with the same dude who did that for troy