49ers To Re-Sign QB Alex Smith, Draft QB To Groom?

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Mar 19, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Adam Caplan of FOXSports.com writes that he doesn’t think it’s a slam-dunk that the 49ers will go hard after Eagles quarterback Kevin Kolb. The feeling, after talking to sources over the past few months, is that since the team has a revised front office and new coaching staff, the 49ers might want to build from within. What this could mean is that they look to re-signing quarterback Alex Smith and draft a developmental quarterback, perhaps Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick or Christian Ponder, and have Smith start this season while the younger quarterback is in the learning process. The longer the lockout continues the chances of the team re-signing Smith or acquiring another veteran increases. If the team decides to go hard after Kolb, then they obviously would not look at selecting a developmental quarterback in this draft.

Source: FOXSports.com

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
  2. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

=D

There have been many times where alex has looked great but hes so inconsistent and i think harbaugh is the man that can make him more consistant

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's kind of smart to re-sign Smith for the moment because of the CBA situation...

4. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Stupid all around.

5. misfitz

the only thing he would have over free agent qbs is consistency with the wrs its a completely different offense your going from a smash mouth run up the middle very uncreative offense to a hybrid smashmouth WCO lots more timing routes and quick releases which will help alex a lot more. Plus Harbaugh is all about perfection and is a perfectionist which I think Alex will thrive under. Alex has had 6 OCs 5 or 6 Qbs coaches its ridiculous to think he should be at a pro bowl level also he finished the year 11tds to 3 ints and back to back years of more tds then ints

6. hermhater

hermhater Guest

I'm not sure if I agree with you or not, but I'm 'Like'ing that anyway.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

If the Lockout goes until August/September, whatever, Smith would have the advantage over anyone they'd bring in. If the thing ends tomorrow, all best would be off...

8. misfitz

why does he have an advantage if it continued till august? there would be no camp its a completely different offense its a WCO which he hasnt played anything near it since his rookie year.............the only thing he would have on the other qbs would be continuity with the receivers...........Also Vernon Davis should want Alex smith back because smith is the reason he tied the TE TD record 10 tds from smith in 10.5 games in 09 and then in 2010 only 1 td was from troy smith

9. I take my chances with a rookie QB over Smith.

I wouldn't give a crap about the CBA.......Smith had 5 years.

10. misfitz

2 years lost to injury and he came back with back to back more tds then ints and his yards per game has been going up each season.

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

And what Smith has is more than anyone else coming in would have. He's probably been in touch somewhat with Harbaugh as well before the lockout occurred and who knows what they spoke about.

I'm not saying he's the answer at QB for the Niners by any means. I'm just saying he's got a slight advantage as far as a head start over anyone else they'd be bringing in on short notice.

12. hermhater

hermhater Guest

I'm liking the bolded part.

13. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

Normally I'd be all 'wtf? Keeping Alex Smith again?', but the FA pool is so damn tiny this year that it really wouldn't help to bring anyone in.

The biggest name out there right now is Kevin Kolb, I think I'd take my chances with Smith one more year.