AFC Wildcard Race

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Crowned, Nov 22, 2009.

1. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

so you're thinking the broncos are going to get rolling again and win the west?

2. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

I'd like the Ravens to get in.

3. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Texans lost tonight, I updated the original post to reflect this.

4. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Unfreakingbelieveable.

5. CaptainStubing

a couple of more wins added to their winning streak and we may be adding the titans to this conversation, eh?

6. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

Here's how it stands in the AFC right now:

1. Colts - 10-0
    2. Bengals - 7-3, 5-3 conference, 5-0 division
    3. Chargers - 7-3, 5-3 conference, 4-1 division
    4. Patriots - 7-3, 5-3 conference, 3-1 division
    5. Jaguars - 6-4, 5-2 conference
    6. Steelers - 6-4, 4-3 conference

7. Broncos - 6-4, lost to Steelers
    8. Ravens - 5-5, 5-4 conference
    9. Dolphins - 5-5, 3-3 conference, 3-1 division
    10. Texans - 5-5, 4-4 conference, 1-3 division
    11. Jets - 4-6, beat Titans
    12. Titans - 4-6
    13. Chiefs - 3-7, 1-2 division, 2-4 conference
    14. Raiders - 3-7, 1-4 division, 2-6 conference
    15. Bills - 3-7, 1-6 conference
    16. Browns - 1-9

I listed all the teams because I felt like it. Tiebreaker's head-to-head, than conference record if not in same division, then division record, but division record then conference record if in same division.

7. CaptainStubing

wow, thanks for posting all of this. that is a lot of work. yep, the broncos have already fallen out of a playoff spot, so if they don't turn it around, the wild cards will probably go to the 2 teams that get hot from now until the end of the season. And remember, recently 10 wins sometimes isn't enough to get a playoff spot in the AFC. Again, i point to the 6 match-ups below as probably the biggest deciders of who will get the spots. If Miami, for instance, sweeps their 3 games against their fellow wild card opponents, not only do they distance themselves in the standings from those teams, but then they hold the ever-important tiebreakers if a bunch of them finish 10-6 or something.

Dec 13 Miami @Jacksonville
    Dec 27 Houston @ Miami
    Jan 3 Pittsburgh @ Miami
    Dec 6 Houston @ Jacksonville
    Nov 29 Pittsburgh @ Baltimore
    Dec 27 Baltimore @ Pittsburgh

8. Crowned

Broncos won last night, I updated the original post to reflect this. This makes things interesting... :icon_evil:

9. ravenfan52

Here's how it stands in the AFC right now:

1. Colts - 10-0
    2. Bengals - 7-3, 5-3 conference, 5-0 division
    3. Chargers - 7-3, 5-3 conference, 4-1 division
    4. Patriots - 7-3, 5-3 conference, 3-1 division
    5. Broncos - 7-4
    6. Jaguars - 6-4, 5-2 conference

7. Steelers - 6-4, 4-3 conference
    8. Ravens - 5-5, 5-4 conference
    9. Dolphins - 5-5, 3-3 conference, 3-1 division
    10. Texans - 5-5, 4-4 conference, 1-3 division
    11. Jets - 4-6, beat Titans
    12. Titans - 4-6
    13. Chiefs - 3-7, 1-2 division, 2-4 conference
    14. Bills - 3-7, 1-6 conference
    15. Raiders - 3-8
    16. Browns - 1-9

You know what I'd really like? Is for the Cardinals to just beat the Titans this week. Just - just knock 'em out. Make me feel a little better. Also it would just be nice if the Panthers knocked out the Jets this week. I don't see the Dolphins making it to 11-5, and I don't even think they'll only lose one, but I haven't actually looked at their schedule. Looks like Broncos are for real, or the Giants are just awful, or maybe both. I think and hope Houston will lose to the Colts, but I'm skeptical when it comes to the Jaguars losing to the 49ers. Of course none of this matters if we don't take care of business and beat the Steelers.

Early prediction: It will come down to the Broncos, Jaguars, Ravens and Steelers. Ok, that's not really a prediction. How's this: whoever wins in the ravens-steelers game and the Broncos make it in. Better?

10. CaptainStubing

yep, IF the broncos are truly back on track, it probably just eliminated a lot of those 'fringe' teams that were hoping to make an amazing stretch run to make the playoffs.

11. Crowned

Updated the wildcard picture, things just got real interesting.

12. CaptainStubing

yep, the broncos winning on thursday just messed everything up in my mind. i thought they were just going to drift away and 2 of the other teams would get the spots. we may have another 10 win afc team fail to make the playoffs this year. seems to happen almost every year now.

13. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

1. Indianapolis
    2. Cincinatti (who saw that coming before 09 started?)
    3. Patriots
    4. Broncos (I see SD losing 2 games, and Den losing 1 more, to Indy)
    5. Chargers
    6. Steelers/Titans/Jaguars*

*If the Steelers' injuries catch up to them, I think the Jaguars back their way into the picture. If the Jaguars do what's expected of them and fold because of their terrible defense, I see the Titans sneaking in.

With that said, if the Titans manage to pull off a 10-win run, watch out, they will be the most dangerous team in the NFL. Now I know it's highly unlikely (we'll find out what they're made out of next week @ Indy, even if they lsoe that, they have a chance. I think they'll beat SD), but if they get in, they can make a run.

14. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

Picked them as my sleeper but i was thinking more wildcard then division

15. CaptainStubing

eh, 9 wins usually doesn't make it in the afc and i can't see it making it this year either. there are too many teams that already have 6 or 7 wins and have a loss to give to still get to 10 wins.

16. Mike S.

Mike S. GIF Hall Of Fame Class Of 2007 Staff Member

AFC playoff teams if the season ended last night:

AFC
    Seed Team Division Record
    1 Indianapolis South 11-0-0
    2 Cincinnati North 8-3-0
    3 San Diego West 8-3-0
    4 New England East 7-4-0
    5 Denver West 7-4-0
    6 Jacksonville South 6-5-0

Cincinnati earns the No. 2 seed over San Diego based on common games (4-2 to Chargers 3-3)
    Jacksonville earns the No. 6 seed over Baltimore based on conference record (5-2 to Ravens' 6-4)

17. ravenfan52

Division Leaders:

1. Colts - 11-0
    2. Bengals - 8-3, 6-3 conference, 6-0 division
    3. Chargers - 8-3, 6-3 conference, 5-1 division
    4. Patriots - 7-4

Wild Card:

5. Broncos - 7-4
    6. Jaguars - 6-5, 5-2 conference

On the bubble:

7. Ravens - 6-5, 6-4 conference, beat Steelers
    8. Steelers - 6-5, 4-4 conference, lost to Ravens
    9. Jets - 6-6
    10. Dolphins - 5-6, 3-4 conference (advantage over Titans, better conference record)
    10. Titans - 5-6, 3-6 conference, 2-3 division (advantage over Texans, better division record)
    10. Texans - 5-6, 4-5 conference, 1-4 division (advantage over Dolphins, better conference record)

Out of it:

13. Bills - 4-8
    14. Chiefs - 3-8, 1-3 division
    15. Raiders - 3-8, 1-4 division
    16. Browns - 1-9

In tie-breakers, after head-to-head, with division opponents its division record, with non-division opponents its conference record, hence the three-way tie between the Titans, Texans, and Dolphins. Key week 13 AFC games: Titans at Colts, Texans at Jaguars, Dolphins at Patriots.

18. CaptainStubing

ok, i'm pretty sure that 10 games will get a team in as the 6th spot in the afc this year. there are a few teams that i think will finish with 9 wins but probably only 1 of them can get all the way to 10.

this year, i think '10 and you're in' applies in the afc.

19. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

Jacksonville puzzles me, they're not a spectacular team at all, but if Garrard, MJD, Sims-Walker and Mathis do their job, this is a team that can unexpectedly compete with the top dawgs in the AFC.

Yet, they've lost to teams like Seattle (got blanked), San Francisco, Tennessee (got blanked), and Arizona (got smacked), and have struggled with St. Louis, while giving the Colts a run for their money.

I think they'll sneak into the playoffs at 10-6, Colts might start sitting some players next week when they play Jacksonville as they'll have locked up the #1 seed. I don't think they can go into New England and win, and if they lose either of those other two games they don't deserve a playoff spot.

20. CaptainStubing

yep, jacksonville is a completely different team at home. they should be able to beat miami at home and cleveland on the road to get to 9 wins but then they're going to have to beat Indy or NE to get to 10 wins and i'm not sure if that's going to happen.