Andy Reid Not Open To Trade Eagles QB Michael Vick

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by BigBlueBruiser, Mar 23, 2011.

1. They came, they sat next to a perspiring, vaguely uncomfortable Andy Reid, they asked about Kevin Kolb. Kolb, 26, is a championship-caliber quarterback, Reid said. Reid recalled the 2001 NFL Scouting Combine, when his former mentor, Mike Holmgren, asked Reid's view on whether Holmgren should trade for Green Bay's Matt Hasselbeck, as Holmgren looked for a franchise QB for the Seattle Seahawks. "I said, 'Matt Hasselbeck will come in and help you win a championship,' " Reid recalled. "That's how I feel about Kevin Kolb." Reid said he told Holmgren then: "Whatever you have to pay for him, pay for him, go get him, and he'll help you win a championship." Reid added: "That's how I feel about this guy. That's why I've got him. I didn't bring him in to be a backup, I brought him in to be a starter, and crazy things happened, with this Michael Vick thing, that nobody thought would happen . . . That kid is a championship-caliber quarterback." So, if that's really how Reid feels, what would he do if teams asked him about trading for Vick? "That's not where people are at," Reid said. "The focus is really on Kevin. [Although] I keep my ears open on everything. Michael's our quarterback right now. We'll see how all that [long-term contract] goes. Michael's our quarterback right now, and that's how I expect it to be." When reporters started asking followup questions about Reid's "open ears" policy regarding a Vick trade, Reid clarified. "I'm not trading Michael . . . Michael's the quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles this year," he said.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
  2. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Don't mean crap. Said the exact same thing about McNabb and shipped him out shortly after.

I'm tellin' ya... smart play here would be to get the most you can for Vick right now. If history has told me anything, it's that this is usually where the Eagles let go of players (+30 years old, end of contract, huge payday coming up, somewhat injury prone because of his style of play).

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

reid said the same about kolb last year as well, until he got smeared accross the field thanks to that crap o-line.

mark my words - vick is going to get hurt next season and without kolb be ready for the kafka era to begin.

4. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Kafka... we'd be so f'ed...

5. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

maybe you'll draft Cam Newton :)

6. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Kafka>>> Kolb

7. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Because we'd be much better with Kolb under center? I'd take Mike Mamula back again before I'd want to see Kolb as this team's primary QB.