Antrel Rolle Says NFL's Crackdown On Illegal Hits "Absolutely Ridiculous"

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by BigBlueBruiser, Oct 19, 2010.

1. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Well said Capt

2. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Vince Lombardi

1 person likes this.
  3. smeags

smeags militant geek

great olly, quote something from the days when teams and coaches truely didn't give a heck about what happened to the players.

should the players start wearing leather helmets again like they did in the early days ? you know, before the sport got faggy.

4. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Just don't overrule the game would be fair enough for me.... :icon_rolleyes:

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i love hearing the older players talk about this ......... most of them feel that because their equipment was not as advanced as it is today, they didn't feel as comfortable leading with their helmet. they say there were still plenty of bone crushing hits and plenty of players getting hurt from hits but guys just didn't feel invincible with what was on their head so they were more fundamentally sound in the way they hit.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

exactly which kind of points to the fact that you don't need this to have big hits.

again, i was never, ever taught to lead with my head. not in pop warner, not in high school. you lead with the shoulders and wrap up.

7. CaptainStubing

and i don't think any coach, at any level, is teaching their players to lead with their head. however, at the professional level, the talent level between teams is so close and guys are fighting to keep their jobs. Therefore, fear and intimidation from a defense can be the difference between being an average player and a great player (James Harrison/Rodney Harrison) and being an average team and a great team. So, i think many coaches turn the other cheek when their players are doing it.

8. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

The intimidation factor is part of football. A safties job is to make the reciever SCARED to catch the ball. And I don't buy the "just enforcing the rules" BS. Meriweather's hit was dirty as hell and deserved it, but I'm on the fence about Harrison, and NO WAY that Robinson's hit should have been punished. That was just damn good football.

Goodell needs to commish over MLB so he can be happy around a cat sport. Screw you Goodell.

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

so you think the harrison hits were just plays by a guy who plays hard and the result of a guy who has a history of being dirty ? his intent on both those plays was blatantly obvious. same on the robinson hit. in neither case did you even come close to seeing either player trying to wrap the guy up.

10. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

leading with your shoulders tends to lead to helmet contact....damn that head for being obove the shoulders

11. smeags

smeags militant geek

while your counter does nothing to dispell the fact that the proper technique will without a doubt lead to less issues i thank you for the anatomy lesson either way.

12. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Rick Gosselin, the NFL beat writer for The Dallas Morning News, had this suggestion in today's issue. If a player is flagged for a h2h hit, he plays the next play without a helmet. If the hit is so flagrant that it draws a fine, he plays a game without a helmet.

Thoughts?

13. CaptainStubing

i love hearing all of the crazy solutions people are coming up with , whether they are tongue-in-cheek or not. gosselin was obviously kidding but it would by funny to watch.

14. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

My thoughts? Gosselin...like everyone else from Dallas is and idiot.

15. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

irony is such a beautiful thing.

16. ragman

Rick Gosselin has forgotten more about the NFL than you or I will ever hope to know. So, I think you should show him a little respect.

17. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Rick Gosselin is a freaking nobody homer sports beat reporter for an irrelevant last place football team.

18. Best quote I've heard in a while......

19. ragman

Rick Gosselin has covered the NFL for many years. He has won awards by the Associated Press and the NFL Hall of Fame. Look it up.

You've demonstrated something I've known about Eagles fans for a long time. You can tell a Cowboys fan from an Eagles fan, and you can't tell an Eagles fan anything.

20. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Thanks for educating me. I clearly was wrong. We Eagles fans can be told new things. Thanks to you I now know that Rick Gosselin is a freaking meaningless press award winning, homer sports beat reporter for an irrelevant last place football team. Thanks for the education..... oh yeah...and the neg rep.