Barred Conversations: Johnny Manziel, Madonna, Moody Blues and Hall of Fame Worthiness

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by SportsChump, Aug 17, 2014.

1. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

I was chatting up my local bartender after a mid-afternoon round of golf the other day when I stumbled onto yet another bizarre sports conversation.

The gentleman pouring the drinks had a few years on me. A replay of some meaningless pre-season game was being broadcast on the television screen behind him. It was a game in which the Browns were not playing yet suddenly, the network flashed Johnny Manziel’s image on the screen.

The bartender looked at me and asked if I was from Cleveland. I wasn’t sure what he was getting at. I told him no, checking carefully to ensure I didn’t give off a Cleveland vibe. He then asked “Aren’t you sick of all this Manziel stuff?”

Follow along at: http://sportschump.net/2014/08/17/b...donna-moody-blues-hall-fame-worthiness/14254/

DawkinsINT likes this.
  2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Haha...that was an entertaining read. One of my buddies is a waiter at an upper echelon Cleveland restaurant. All the sports stars and celebrities go there. His original plan was to move to Atlanta for a restaurant gig there, but changed his mind based on LeBron & Manziel bringing in serious money to his current establishment.

3. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Thanks, Dawk.

I would think the town is popping off right about now.

He probably made the right move.

4. DawkinsINT

The right "lack of" move. Tee hee.

5. DawkinsINT

I forgot to include one of the best parts of your story to me. My buddy in Cleveland used to rock a Moody Blues t-shirt when he was like 12. I had to text him about your story. He loved it. He completely agrees that the Moody Blues should be in. "Damn right they should be! I love me some blues that make me moody". haha.

6. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

I guess.

7. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

He he, Dawk. Is his name Fred? He left a comment.

Let the groundswell for the Moody Blues to get into the Hall commence!

I wonder if they'll thank me at their induction ceremony.

8. DawkinsINT

Haha...no. It's Jim. Where did this take place? What teams does this bartender like?

9. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

We didn't get into it. I wasn't in all that confrontational mood. I was drinking wine.

Had I been drinking bourbon, it might have been a different story, he he.

10. DawkinsINT

haha..understandable. Where was this? I have no idea where you live.

11. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

Every once in a while someone comes into the league under tremendous pre hype. You cannot sit there and tell me that he was really a true heisman winner. I think it was only because there was no other really deserving person to win it. maybe you could make a case for Clowney but even he is a one trick pony. second in voting was "fake girlfriend" Teo. Players are so hyped nowadays that you don't know where the fluff ends and the real stuff begins. I don't see him living up to a smidgen of the hype. If he was a rock star or movie star I feel we would be seeing an obit about him after a few years. But football will help keep him alive at least while he is playing. As far as the RRHF I just have to argue that it is not a real representation of the rock genre. Lots of the members are not rock musicians. As usual it is political. There are people there that have no reason to be there. are they fine musicians? Certainly. But not rockers. Sorta like when Jethro Tull won the Grammy for best Metal Album over Metallica. And Madonna. She has, of course, gotten older but in her younger days I would have gone all caveman on her. Just her lack of grooming under her arms were the turnoff. But she catered to the girls and they had the buying power to boost her record sales. Boys usually had other things to spend their money on, like girls, and therefor the Moody Blues albums, while technically and musically better than Madonna, just didn't sell enough to give them their proper due.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  12. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Dawk...

I was playing golf in Sarasota, an hour south of Tampa where I live, and went in for a quick drink and meal.

13. DawkinsINT

I was wondering if it was a Yankees or Cowboys fan that said that to you. The irony would have been hilarious.