Bears Assistant Mike Tice Says Offensive Tackle Wasn't A "Dire Need" In The Draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by SRW, May 12, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Bears coach Lovie Smith and general manager Phil Emery have defended the team's offensive line throughout the offseason. During the NFL Draft, the Bears had an opportunity to land highly-rated o-linemen, yet they passed and addressed other positions. Bears offensive coordinator Mike Tice said they would have address offensive tackle, if they collectively thought it were a problem. "I think if Phil and Lovie -- with the help of the scouts and the staff -- if we felt tackle were a dire need for us, I'm sure they would have answered the bell on draft day," Tice said. "With the change in scheme, and the change in personality - if you will - and an offseason, and getting some guys healthy, I think we'll make a big jump in the offensive line. I think it takes time for young guys to play good in all areas, and I think we have a couple of young guys who have played good football in half the scheme, if you will, and they need to step it up in the other half of the scheme," Tice said. "We have a number of guys like that."

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

um, seriously Tice? if the bears didn't view o-line as a huge need, then they were the only people in the world who felt that way.

they were seriously deficient of talent last year and it showed on the field. when your left tackle is j'marcus webb, that pretty much sums it up.

3. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Cutler disagrees.

4. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

i think carimi is gonna be a beast for them

5. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

At RT. He'll get destroyed in the left

6. K Train

i think he could definitely play on the left eventually, at first hes good on the right thats an easy transition but hes not a cherilus or loadholt type that has no chance on the left.

7. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Now you see what we have to put up with in Chicago. :icon_rolleyes:

Guess getting promoted from running the OL to OC includes sucking the collective Halas Hall rod.

Then again, never was too impressed with Tice's IQ...

8. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

He is better then Cherilous or Loadholdt, but he is the same type of player. He doesnt have the feet or the arm length or the athletism to lay LT in the NFL. Jared Allen and Clay Mathews would make him where one of these

[​IMG]

and pimp him down the street, getting butthecked by horny travelers, college boys and military personnel on furlough for there financial benefit if he lined up against them on the leftside

9. K Train

hes 6-7 with 35 inch arms....jake long is 6-7 with 32 inch arms

imo hes always been a poor mans jake long, i think he could definitely play on the left. theres much much worst LTs in the league than gabe carimi would be.

i agree hes better suited on the right, but i dont think the left is out of the question for him