Big Blue's 2011 NFL Mock Draft V2.0

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by BigBlueBruiser, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Darin Gantt of the Charlotte Observer has now joined Adam Schefter with the belief that Blaine Gabbert will not be the No. 1 overall pick.

Darin Gantt: Twitter.com

My third mock will have more significant changes to it.

2. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

Just because there are a lot of DE's doesn't make it deep. Smith could be a pro bowl caliber LT down the road if developed correctly. You don't take a player like that in the top 10. OT may be a bigger need according to some, but there isn't a top 10 OT as I see it. Top 10 OT's come in and play LT right away. There isn't one.

Sorry, I didn't know that you helped create the Bengals preliminary draft board. LMAO! Just because a writer or a "source" says he knows what is on a team's "preliminary" draft board means jack crap. Unless you are high ranking member of the organization, comments like "Their draft board says ____________" is complete bullcrap made from speculation. I think the Bengals might take Jones ahead of Green, but it won't matter because they are taking a QB.

As much as it's wrong for the Panther's to take Cam, it's ultimately the only choice they have. No player is going to sell more tickets and justify (at the time of the draft there will be no rookie cap) the salary that #1 overall is going to be in line to get. Salary dictates QB, QB dictates Cam. It really is the only pick that makes sense despite what the Panthers need more. Financially speaking, they might be better taking a pass and picking at 2 or 3, but we all know they won't do that.

Character concerns aren't everything. Simple math will tell you that if some teams have removed, (I question all talk coming from GM's and owners at this time due to smoke screens) that means that there are other's that haven't. There have also been teams to come out and say that they have met with Smith since and have a different perspective of him now. Smith is a hundred times better than Harris and he won't drop out of the first round especially if Peterson and Prince go off in the top 10. Harris is shorter, smaller by nearly 20 pounds and slower. A team that would take Harris over Smith are fools.

The Eagles don't intentionally draft RT's in the first round.

3. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

lol @ intentionally draft RT's

I agree with you on Cam in part. However I think he will ultimately fail if he goes to Carolina

I see him as a Bill, and no way he makes it past #3. Same thing, he'll sell tickets for a struggling team and in Gailey's offense where he will hand off and pass off of PA, he can start and "thrive" (Vince Young circa 2006 thrive) from day 1

4. Jihad Joe

My only other gripe with taking Smith would be that a day 1 starting RT would be there at pick 40(Marcus Cannon)

However, I can live with the pick because Smith will be a shut down pass protector on the right side, and we are a very pass heavy team

Idealily, I wouldnt use a top 10 on Smith at all. I would trade down right ahead of Detroit

5. mike oxlong

Smith is too much of a risk for a top 10 pick. plain and simple, Yeah is strong for his size, but he will wear down in the NFL and I just don't see him ever becoming this player that is being speculated here. I think if they were dead set on taking a T at #9, Castonzo would be a better choice and you're dead on with the point about Cannon.

6. Jihad Joe

I hate Costanzo and every OT that comes out of BC nowadays

Its gotten to the point where their product are failing at RT

7. mike oxlong

and you like Smith who comes from the same spot Winston Justice did, but didn't do as well? I like Castonzo more than smith at #9, but I honestly don't like either.

8. Jihad Joe

USC hasnt quite had the same level of failure. Brown will be a good LT someday. Marteen and Cherilous were thought to be strong to outstanding RT prospects. Both failed miserably

9. With 10+ potential first round picks for d-lineman......I would very well consider it deep.

Tyron Smith's ceiling is higher than any offensive tackle in this draft. He would be the only OT I would spent a Top 10 pick on.

Smith never played LT but he should be fine if he is eased into that spot in a year or so. He could start at RT immediately. He's not a RT only. Those you wouldn't spent a Top 10 pick on.

I don't trust guys like Anthony Castonzo to handle speed rushers.....especially in the NFC East. Smith can solidify his Top 10 status with a great Pro Day in April. Castonzo would be a big reach at No. 9 in all honesty.

And no....I didn't "create" the Bungles' draft board. From reports by Peter King....several personal men said that Jones was rated higher than Green on their draft board.

Sure....that could also be "smoke and mirrors", but it wouldn't be out of the question for Jones to go off the board first because of his combine and pro day workout. Especially to a team like Cincinnati who would value Jones' ability as a blocker.

Of course.....I had no clue you are involved in the Bengals' organization since you seem sooooo certain they'll nab a QB at No. 4 because of the Carson Palmer situation.

Mike Brown is a type of owner that holds players to their commitment and contract. He has refused time and time again to trade or cut ties with Palmer....whether we think it's right or not. That situation is unlikely to be resolved before the draft.

If Carolina wasn't going to draft Cam Newton.....then possibly he could go to the Bengals but I'm not sure they hold Blaine Gabbert in that high regard. Arizona could even jump ahead of them and take Gabbert.

Drafting a QB in the second round is probably the most realistic scenario for Cincinnati. Ryan Mallett could very well be there when they pick in the early second. Brown is the type of owner that doesn't shy away from players with off-field concerns like Mallett. I think he would be very happy having Jones and Mallett in the same draft.

If the Panthers sole reason drafting Newton is to sell tickets......Rivera could find himself on the unemployment line in the next two-three seasons because it'll blow up in their face.

Gabbert is a little more ready and a safer pick than "Scam" Newton. Can't believe an owner like Jerry Richardson would even agree to picking Newton.

Seattle is one of the teams that would still take Jimmy Smith in the first round and could nab him if they opt to pass on Christian Ponder. But they still have the Matt Hasselbeck situation to deal with and I believe nabbing an insurance policy would be more fiscal.

Ponder is coming off an impressive Senior Bowl MVP performance and combine and has vaulted himself back into the late first round mix. Hasselbeck is 35 and the Whitehurst experiment is likely a one-and-done so it may be wise to nab their QB of the future at No. 25. I had them taking Locker the first time around but Minnesota is looking very hard at him at No. 12

Some teams have been concerned with Smith's past failures of drug tests and arrests.....not to mention his truthfulness and failure to take responsibility for his alleged transgressions. His poor attitude has also come into question. Not all teams are going to feel the same way however.

The Lions came away impressed by him but at No. 13 overall.....he would be a reach at that spot. Pittsburgh is one of the teams that removed him off their draft board. At No. 31.....Smith could still be available.

One of the knocks on him other than his character is that he doesn't play as fast as he times in workouts.

I would view him more of a potential free safety at the next level. He is a good tackler and I think thats where he may fit best. Harris displayed better footwork in drills and his ball skills are a notch above Smith's. His pedigree is also a plus. University of Miami DB's usually translate well to the pro level. Harris is 5-10, 190 pounds. I don't see that as a big negative.

The Eagles could take Smith and plug him in at safety with Quintin Mikell a FA. At 6-2, 211 pounds....he seems more of a natural safety than corner.

The Eagles may address OT later in the draft but Carimi at No. 23 is good value at that point in the first round.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
  10. But there is one thing we can agree on Ox......to disagree. :icon_cool:

11. please explain to me how in the world an OT and a C ever make each other look better? :icon_eek:

LOL I love it when people say lock it in. Gabbert/Newton could easily be gone by 4.

Jimmy Smith is no good.

12. mike oxlong

Wow at how many times BBlue has contradicted himself in that redundant rant and again. Eagles don't intentionally take RT's in the first round. Once I saw Peter King as the source, I stopped reading that part.

And AWilson, take Mangold away from that line and then see how "effective" brick is.

13. If you think you can do better.....by all means go right ahead.

Don't be a spectator. :icon_cool:

14. Mock Draft V3.0: Monday, April 4th

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2011
  15. mike oxlong

April 4th is a monday

16. Thank you kind sir.....

17. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

i like the mock...lot of interesting picks. julio Jones over green is interesting, i like jones alot more than green but i dont see him being the second WR off the board regardless

Guys like torrey smith, allen bailey, wilson, baldwin and ponder dont look like first rounders to me...and if we drafted wilson (who i think is pretty terrible for a #1 MLB in a draft) over brandon harris, jimmy smith, cameron heyward, phil taylor, aaron williams, adrian clayborn.....id be very likely to punch a baby

i think gabbert might be the worst QB prospect to ever go #1 if he does...not saying he'll be the worst of them all at the end of the day but i do not think he has anything going for him as a potential franchise QB. he must love andrew luck so much

bailey is not a pass rusher. hes an athlete without a position. the interesting thing about bailey is he despite being an athlete wasnt just unproductive at miami, but he could have produced more imo. I think second round is the place for him. He could play LE in a 43 as a power end, could be a 1 gap 34DE and attack from that spot, could slide into DT in a 43....the odd thing with him is hes build like a gigantic LB and that makes it tough to place him on the dline, hes too stiff to play LB but hes not perfect for any role on the Dline yet...if allen bailey becomes a star i dont think it will be for several years.

martez wislon is terrible...looks like a thumper MLB that we would want but hes all speed and is contact shy. heck that noise
    you sure do love bowers lol, i would agree though bowers falling to the cowboys would be like orakpo falling to the skins for no reason
    interesting comparison....brick was a weak run blocker out of UVA, id say smith is a hammer in the run game just because hes so strong and able to stay low (being that hes not that tall to begin with) and his long arms and insane athletic ability makes him a hell of a pass blocking prospect already...hes raw but hes got everything you look for

18. Martez Wilson is good I just think he is more of an OLB because like you said he isn't a thumper.

19. Wilson isn't a thumper because he has the ability to play all three downs with his tremendous speed and good coverage skills. Some people point out his lanky lower-body but I'm not completely bothered by that. He can work on that when he enters the pros.

He would likely shift to a 4-3 WLB but I think he could play MLB if he has a talented D-Line in-front of him and doesn't always have to take on opposing blockers.

The Giants are one of those teams. Like Bruce Carter, Wilson would translate very well in the Giants' scheme that utilizes speed up front.

I think he would be a better fit than Akeem Ayers.....who seems more of a 3-4 pass rushing OLB. The Giants are known for taking players like Wilson that need refinement but offer immense potential.

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

The more I learn about Wilson, the more I want him no where near a Steelers Uniform. He may have nice size and speed, but he can't tackle, has little power, little to no "instinct", looks lost more times than not and he's awful in coverage. Wilson would be a no go for me...