Bills GM Buddy Nix Acknowledges Potential Contract Trouble With FS Jairus Byrd

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bills' started by SRW, Apr 16, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The Bills used their franchise tag on Pro Bowl safety Jairus Byrd to retain his rights for the upcoming season. He was the only player who didn't report to the Bills voluntary workouts

"There's been some contact, and we're making some effort to try to get a long-term deal done with Jairus," Bills General Manager Buddy Nix said according to Tim Graham of the Buffalo News. "But -- and I don't mean this in a bad way -- I haven't given it much thought.

"I don't mean that we're not interested because we certainly need him, and eventually he'll probably be here. But it's nothing we can do except try to get a contract done, and if it doesn't work, then the ball's in his court. He comes when, basically, he gets ready.

"What we're trying to do is get our guys ready that we got here, and we got them all here but one, so that's not bad."

Byrd's agent is Eugene Parker, who orchestrated left tackle Jason Peters' trade in April 2009.

"A tag is an option we have, and then when they come in is an option they have," Nix said. "That's what it's come down to.

"Again, we'd love to have him here yesterday, but we don't. So we're going to work hard trying to get the guys ready we got."

Source: The Redzone