Bills Re-Sign LB Shawne Merriman To A Two-Year Deal

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bills' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Shawne Merriman has signed a two-year contract to remain with the Buffalo Bills, general manager Buddy Nix confirmed on Saturday. Merriman will take an exit physical on Monday or Tuesday, according to Nix, who was happy to have the former Chargers linebacker signed even though he has been riddled by injuries and did not play a down for the Bills after he was claimed on waivers at mid-season. "We know the situation, we researched it, we did all our homework with Shawne," Nix said. "Everything you do is a little bit of a gamble. There's reward and upside to it and I think both sides are happy with the way the contract is structured." A source said that Merriman is guaranteed $2.5 million for the 2011 season and the linebacker will have an average of $5.25 million during the two years. He has play-time and performance incentives that could earn him a total of $9.25 million per year but a more reasonable sum is $8.75 million if Merriman remains healthy and plays well.

Source: ESPN

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2011
  2. I'm shocked that Merriman wants to stay in Buffalo but no other team would have given him a multi-year contract in free agency.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm more shocked a team gave him a multi-year deal...lol.

4. Don't forget Ward.....it's the Bills were talking about here. :icon_wink:

5. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I'm not gonna lie, I completely forgot he was in Buffalo. But I mean, why wouldn't you want to stay. The climate is SO similar to San Diego, it's almost like he's at home.

6. Flacco2MasonTD

Flacco2MasonTD ಠ_ಠ

On paper this sure looks like a Stupid Move.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

It was a dumber move for Merriman to comeback this season and sign with someone. He probably could have gotten a little more coin and maybe an extra year based on his past history before getting sidelined again. He's a waste...

The Bills gotta do what they gotta do...and that is try everything.

8. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

Yep, thinken the same.

9. Crawl

Crawl Pro Bowler

hopefully he doesn't turn into a wasted roster spot. His contract is incentive based so if he doesn't pan out then they don't lose much. I'm praying he pans out... I'm not expecting pre-steroids "lights Out" but a serviceable one would improve our LB's

10. falcon_91

falcon_91 Pro Bowler

Does he play LB or DE in a 4-3?

11. The Bills employ a 3-4 scheme......he's a LB.