Bills Rookie Jairus Byrd Could Win Starting Free Safety Job?

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bills' started by SRW, May 8, 2009.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

When the Bills used their 42nd overall pick in the draft to select Oregon's Jairus Byrd, eyebrows were raised in the team's media room since the Bills are set at the position with veteran star Terrence McGee and last year's first-round pick Leodis McKelvin. But the Bills don't want Byrd to play corner, they want the rugged 5-10, 207-pounder with glue-like hands to play free safety. Ko Simpson, a fourth-round pick in 2006, has started the past three years but has just two interceptions and five pass breakups in 33 career games and the team wants more range and production out of their center fielder, and are willing to give Byrd every chance to earn the job. "They want to start me out there and just let me go," said Byrd. "I think it's great. I'm just looking for however I can to help the team win games, so I'm excited."

Source: FOXSports.com

2. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

At first I flipped out that the Bills drafted another CB. But the more I read about Byrd, the more I like. The Bills desperately need a FS that can make a difference. Ko Simpson may be 'worth millions' but he sure don't play like it.