Bills Trade WR Lee Evans to Ravens

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Chipper10, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

The Buffalo Bills have traded receiver Lee Evans to the Baltimore Ravens, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Friday. The Bills will get a fourth-round pick in the 2012 draft from Baltimore. Evans, considered a high-value vertical threat, had said this week that trade talks were just a part of the game. "It's not a whole lot I can focus on because I have no control," Evans said Thursday. "My main goal is to do everything in my power to help this team win. That's what my focus is more so than anything." With two years left on his contract, Evans said he hadn't asked for a trade. Selected in the first round of the 2004 draft out of Wisconsin, Evans is the longest active-serving member of the Bills offense (not including kicker Rian Lindell), and the unquestioned leader of the team's young group of receivers.

Source ESPN

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2011
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

AWFUL deal for the Bills...lol.

3. Chipper10

Definitely is.

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

It makes no sense. First off Evans is probably worth more than a 4th rounder. What are they going to do to replace him? They have nothing...Roscoe Parrish? Buster David? No. There's not even a guarantee that a 4th round pick will contribute ever. The Bills obviously aren't trying to win games this season. It makes zero sense. And it's probably the shallowest position on the team...lol.

I could almost understand if there was a contractual thing behind it but at this point...for a 4th rounder it makes zero sense and is a horrible deal.

5. Chipper10

Yeah. And the Bills have already had their stint with TO. Do they dare try it again? Its non-sense for them to give up a threat like Lee, when they have nothing to show for it. Maybe they're trying to get in position to nab Luck in the 2012 draft.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's laughable.

7. CStevenson13

CStevenson13 1st Stringer

I would assume this means Ngata's deal will get announced today or someone else got their deal restructured(which i'd hate because of the future cap hit). We dont currently have the room to take in Evan's salary.

8. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

I can't remember who said it, but the Bills had a wealth of power having Lee Evans on the block with no other receivers of that caliber available. Taking a fourth for an outstanding deep ball WR was not only premature but of little value also. Fitzpatrick was already in a compromised position before but leaving Steve Johnson and Roscoe Parrish as the projected starts sounds like a complete disaster. Phoning in the season to get ahead of the sweepstakes for Luck will be speculated, but going by previous prospects who were locks as no.1 picks, it rarely happens that way. Just an all round poor deal by the Bills.

On the other hand, Ravens gets even better on Offense, acquiring a very good number two opposite Boldin who brings strengths in areas where Anquan doesn't succeed. Plus with Flacco's big arm he should do well. AFC North should be a fun one this year.

9. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Evans isn't that good anymore. That's why they only got a 4th. Premature, yes. They could've got a 3rd if they waited for a starter to fall.

10. Chipper10

Evans is better than what the Bills have.

11. wonderyears

wonderyears Rookie

Wow, good trade for the Ravens.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Way better.

The deal makes no sense from the Bills standpoint. None.

13. smeags

smeags militant geek

the bills do give a damn about winning right now. they have too much rebuilding to do. the issue is only getting a 4th rounder. like BS81 said could've gotten a bit better.

14. Springbok

Springbok Rookie

Seems a reasonably fair deal to me. I think a lot of people are underestimating Johnson and slightly over rating Evans. Or at the very least haven't paid attention to Evans declining production in the last 2 seasons, while Johnson has improved greatly.

15. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Neither Fitz nor Edwards have the arm strength to play to Evan's ability.

16. mmehring

mmehring Cap'n Stabbin

Im interested to see how much better he does opposite boldin, with flacco slinging balls to him. Should be fun to watch!

17. Chipper10

Yeah. You have to have a QB capable of working with your strengths, or your production will decline. I'm sure he'll do better in B'More.