Carlos Rogers sore, taking it day-to-day; Clay Matthews officially ruled out

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by LebaneseFF, Jan 1, 2014.

1. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

[​IMG]
    The 49ers and Packers have a pair of notable injuries to consider. We break down the news surrounding Carlos Rogers and Clay Matthews. New to Niners Nation? Sign up here and join the discussion!

The San Francisco 49ers one notable injury issue is cornerback Carlos Rogers. He suffered a hamstring strain in the final drive of the season finale against the Arizona Cardinals, missing the final three snaps. During player availability on Tuesday, he would not rule himself out for Sunday:

"We'll see. It ain't that bad," Rogers said.

Asked if he's ruled himself out, Rogers replied: "Oh no. Hell no."

49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh met with the media Wednesday, and he would not give any specifics on whether or not Rogers would be able to play. He simply said Rogers was sore on Tuesday, and doing better on Wednesday. I think Rogers is on the bad side of 50/50, but we really won't know for certain until the end of the week. The 49ers release their first practice participation report later today. I suspect Rogers will be a DNP, but the real question is what kind of practice he is getting in Thursday and Friday.

In other injury news, the Packers officially ruled out Clay Matthews for Sunday's game. He aggravated a thumb injury in Week 16, and had surgery a few days later. He would be replaced by Andy Mulumba and/or Mike Neal. When healthy, Matthews has been a big part of their run defense. I suspect we'll see the 49ers ground game attack the left edge to take advantage of Joe Staley's matchup with Matthews' backup.

[​IMG]
    More from Niners Nation
    Follow @NinersNation Follow @SBNationNFL

Source: Continue reading...

2. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Was hoping Mathews would play. We still owe him some lumps.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Some nicely timed Vernon Davis sideline routes should take care of that...